+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The crow road Tv show rewatch

well there has been complicity, I shall attept to get a hold of that as well perhaps we cann arrange to watch that one next

Yes by more I meant a greater number really

I have Complicity on DVD, saw that one at the cinema too
    "Just have fun"

I watched episode one with commentery tonight, I am still composing my thoughts and will post them tomorrow, anyone else have observaitons on the first episode? In light of my own and other people's business I propose leaving episode two until next Sunday. That gives us 8 weeks, or almost two months, to digest it and chew over differnces between movie and book and changes made.

nobody else? awaiting others thoughts on ep 2 before I post

It's ironic because I visually imagined Peter's character to resemble David Tennant when I read the book a fair few years ago.
    'Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

Finally got around to watching The Crow Road. There are some changes from the book—aren't there always—but it seems one of the better video adaptations I've seen. Things I really liked was the slow build to the climax and the constant back and forth between the present and the past, that were both confusing and enlightening. I've decided the Prentice talking to Rory bits aren't as contrived as I found them on first viewing. In the book it's easy to get inside Prentice's thoughts, in the video medium this is hard to do other than using a constant expository monologue voice-over. Since there's already a lot of that, it's more interesting, visually and dramatically, to set up a dialogue between phantom Rory and Prentice. Also allows for some humor, as when phantom Rory confronts Prentice with, "Were you shagging my girlfriend?".

It's a coming-of-age story, with a lot of deaths, and the mystery disappearance of Uncle Rory hovering constantly over everything. The McHoans are particularly hard hit, Prentice's uncle Rory, aunt Fiona, grandmother, and father Kenneth all going the way of the Crow Road. Though with everyone smoking up a storm and drinking like fish they all seem to have suicide obsessions. I do wish they had English subtitles (my version didn't), because I found the Scottish accents to often be incomprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by charismatic megafauna View Post
    Finally got around to watching The Crow Road. There are some changes from the book—aren't there always—but it seems one of the better video adaptations I've seen. Things I really liked was the slow build to the climax and the constant back and forth between the present and the past, that were both confusing and enlightening. I've decided the Prentice talking to Rory bits aren't as contrived as I found them on first viewing. In the book it's easy to get inside Prentice's thoughts, in the video medium this is hard to do other than using a constant expository monologue voice-over. Since there's already a lot of that, it's more interesting, visually and dramatically, to set up a dialogue between phantom Rory and Prentice. Also allows for some humor, as when phantom Rory confronts Prentice with, "Were you shagging my girlfriend?".

It's a coming-of-age story, with a lot of deaths, and the mystery disappearance of Uncle Rory hovering constantly over everything. The McHoans are particularly hard hit, Prentice's uncle Rory, aunt Fiona, grandmother, and father Kenneth all going the way of the Crow Road. Though with everyone smoking up a storm and drinking like fish they all seem to have suicide obsessions. I do wish they had English subtitles (my version didn't), because I found the Scottish accents to often be incomprehensible.
    I had that same feeling with this scene from Snatch... though it was really an American actor playing Pikey accent.
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

Gonna watch ep2 tonight...
    "Just have fun"

So episode 2 "Kenneth" - very good.

Verity nearly crashing the car (hints of Rory maybe crashing his bike)

Uncle Hamish's "religion/cult" gains mass.

Kenneth reading the 1st page of "Legend of the Mythasaurs" to young Prentice. Hmmm it seemed to be the page he was writing at the time

Like the bit with the reporter - Paxton - knowing about some secret (& maybe sending the matchbooks)

Liked the stuff with Fergus & Rory, post shooting.

Odd bit where Verity & Lewis were getting it on & Prentice put the light on. Verity didn't seem to react at all?

Prentice declined very quickly into a virtual homeless begger (this could maybe have been taken further but I expect won't be)

A game of spot the "Still Game" actors

The last great non"M"? Nah I really liked Whit (which took Cult to a whole new level)

I watched episode one with commentery tonight, I am still composing my thoughts and will post them tomorrow,
    So anything further based on the commentary?

With everyone smoking up a storm and drinking like fish they all seem to have suicide obsessions
    Never been to Scotland then? Or even England for that matter
    "Just have fun"

DB, no never had the chance to visit either Scotland or England—most of my foreign travels have been west or south of the US. So what you're telling me is that everyone there smokes and drinks to excess (I've never been infatuated with the drink till you puke and pass out mentality). Some sort of slow suicide run?

I think The Crow Road was the last great complete non 'M' work. I really like the first half of Whit, with it's innocent abroad and satiric take on religion, but somewhere around the middle it changed into little more than a standard mystery story with a trite climax, that I didn't find compelling at all—yes, the person you've suspected is an evil, conniving old shit actually is. What a disappointment after the great beginning.

Act Two: Prentice really comes across as a shallow twit in this episode, not that most of us weren't at 20, or so. I personally would have preferred a father like Kenneth—at least in hindsight—though given adolescent rebellion I probably wouldn't have got along with him that well at 20. Prentice's constant pining for and fixation on Verity is a more than a little foolish, particularly with Ashley being right there in plain sight the whole time. Smart girls are so sexy, not to mention interesting to be around. Wake the fuck up Prentice.

+ Reply to Thread