+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The crow road Tv show rewatch

Default The crow road Tv show rewatch

I am propsing in this new year a rewatch of the crow road tv series. I recently got some shelves and a marginally bigger apartment so am able to alphabetise my dvds and blu ray, came across the crow road disk.

Thinking about one episode a week until we are finished with it, posting thoughts and interpretations across the week starting say, the evening of Sunday January 4th.

Anyone want to join me?
    Phaze
    on the "determined to revitalise disucssion and also rewatch the darned thing, we could even make it a thing" ID

We could do that. It's an okay adaptation, though I did find the Prentice advised by phantom Rory stuff contrived. I'll have to wait till I can get it from the library.

Will have to dig out my tape from somewhere in the attic...
    "Just have fun"

yay, participants *rubs hands with glee*

Let me know when you plan to start. In the meantime Banksoniain #10 covered The Crow Road.

Starting today daveH one episode a week on sundays, following week for disusssion of each ep

Ready, found my old tapes in a box in the attic

Will put it on in a bit
    "Just have fun"

Default Episode 1

So episode one thoughts.

I like the actor they have chosen for Prentice, I believe I watched this when it was broadcast, AFAIK there was no actual watching of the discs, unless I did it while I was drunk. Iäm currently watching an interview with Iain on the first disc. There is an audio commentery on the first episode, which I will listen to during the week, have a course lecture starting at 8:30 in the morning and it is getting on for 10 pm.

I did not recognise capaldi, the long hair and he looks so young! the talking to rory bits are odd but I cannot imagine a more obviously scottish actor to play rory and in fairness the cast are primarily scotish, except where written so.

I have not read the book in ages so I shall leave comparisons to those who have better refernces to it. However some points I did note.

The cuase of the split between PRentice and his dad, and his dad's eposing of the points of athiesm and how spiritualism is "all bollox" I can see Kenneth as Iains POV character. railing against PREntice's choice of religion and getting angry with him for being silly.

I cannot, in fairness, find the actress chosen for verity particularly attractive, could be just me or perhaps how I pictured her but her lines are fairly minimal so it is hard to get a good impression of her.

I recall the sex with Janice though, imagine how disturbing poor prentice felt when after shagging his uncles former girlfriend she tells him "good night Rory", although at 21 I suppose a shag is a shag and what happens afterwards isnae gonna dosturb you too much.

The 21 is my guess of Prentice's age, it is not mentioned explicity in the book but based on hi being at uni and so on.

Wonderful actress playing Margo though.

In closing DaveH can you tell me about the interview on disc one, I don't recognise the show or the interviewer.

I will post later in the week my thoughts on the commentary

I think it is an STV interview with John Brown is from a programme called Arts and Parts broadcast on 1st June 1997.

Also ages since I read the book, so long that it's as if I'm seeing it for the 1st time. I don't know how many years, prob as long as since that computer Rory was using in the opening is old

Shame it didn't open with the "Exploded" line but at least it was in there.

As a long hair myself I rather liked Capaldi with the locks.

What was that famous example that Iain gave of film over prose, were he said a brief thing in the programme got over the meaning of something he spent ages writing???

Is Verity sexy? Well yeah sure, but I'd prefer Janice myself

Prentice & dad falling out over the "semi religious ceremony", the smashing & burning of the car didn't seem very religious to me.

I assume that monstrosity on the beach in the party/rave scene was his sculpture? Maybe just me but it was awful

Looking forward to the rest of the mystery, I have no recollection of how it all ends.

I loved the Rory taking to Prentice bits, more of them please...

I'm quite surprised there haven't been more films/TV series of Iain's non"M" books.
    "Just have fun"

+ Reply to Thread