+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IMB and games produced by Bungie

Default IMB and games produced by Bungie

I don't know if it's been discussed here before, or how many of you are gamers, but I'm playing Destiny at the moment and it reminded me that Bungie titles over the last 20 years (the Marathon series, the Halo series, and now Destiny) all, to differing degrees, seem to take a little inspiration from Culture novels.

Just a few points off the top of my head:

- Marathon features sentient ship AIs (a triumvirate of whom run a very large colony ship, much like in a GSV), one of which is particularly sarcastic.

- AIs in Marathon can go Rampant; beyond their programming, unpredictable and possibly dangerous. A little like an Eccentric.

- The bad-guy alien race in Marathon provoke nearby stars into nova when losing a battle, much as the Idirans do in Consider Phlebas.

- Obvious, perhaps, but all the Halo games prominently feature Ringworlds - much like an orbital, but smaller.

- The bad guys in Halo (the Covenant) share a few similarities to the Idirans. Religiously fanatical, Elite/Grunts = Idirans/Medjel. I remember there being more, but I haven't played it for a while!

- Ships in Halo, both human and Covenant, have some very familiar sounding names. UNSC Ready or Not, UNSC Do You Feel Lucky?, CCS Sacred Promise, CAR Contrition, CCS Truth and Reconciliation, for example.

- Halo features a 'drone' called 343 Guilty Spark that might be said to share some personality characteristics with Culture drones.

- Destiny's story (such as it is) prominently includes a kilometers-wide, inscrutable, hovering sphere of untold power and capability. Might be a bit of a reach, but it immediately reminded me of the Excession.

- One, possibly several, of the highest level guns in Destiny have a personality and a sense of humour. Possible Lazy Gun reference?

There are plenty more, I'm sure, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.
    Last edited by Mercenary whoreboy; 15-10-2014 at 03:57 PM.

While Use of Weapons* is a masterpiece of science fiction, Bungie’s Destiny as it stands, is a masterpiece; a masterpiece of marketing hype ‘smell that sizzle!’

“That Wizard Came from the Moon.”

*Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, Excession... Look to Windward...
    Outside Context Problem (OCP), the kind of problem "most civilisations would encounter just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop."

+ Reply to Thread