+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The New Consider Phlebas thread (contains spoilers)

merc, I understand your point, my problem was I had already read Excession as my first Culture novel. Once you know something, you can't just unremember it. During my reread of CP, I'll make an attempt to use that viewpoint as a starting perspective, may give me some fresh insights.

Quote Originally Posted by charismatic megafauna View Post

phazed, don't worry, just comment from memory if need be. Others can fill in details if required. The important thing is to comment. Alternately, you could fly back to Ireland tomorrow, get your copy and return.
    audible doesn't list an unabridged recording but I found one elsewhere, will read with my ears

So I was out ingressing today and listened to the point just after Hora is rescued. The culture is depicted in interesting ways, even though Belveda is shown to be the enemy, she still pleads for MErcy for our protaganist. Horza appears misguided, perhaps our archytipal anti-hero? Early days yet, this book is long, probably runs to 15 or 16 hours, so we shall see, weather dependant, how much of it I get through in the next week or so.

Just got my Audio from the Library today too. Yeah I guess with no previous knowledge, the Culture can come across at the Baddies to begin with. Maybe the Culture lady is just a rogue or a plant. Horza is still just about to be drowned in Shite for me at the moment. & the Planet of the Dead I remembered has already been mentioned as the place where the Mind escapes to. I Assume that's a Culture Mind that was shot down by the Idiran, but I guess we'll see.
    "Just have fun"

It will be some time before I can do a re-read of Consider Phlebas. There are some elements in the novel that immediately caught my attention:

1) The amount and weirdness of the creatures introduced in the book. Accostumed as I was to Assimov's SF where characters are mostly humans or robots this was an immediate eye cátcher.

2) The pervasiveness of minds and robots. Hell , as a computer scientist, I was kind of sick and tired of reading SF where even the most basic tasks were caried on manually by humans ( quite amazingly every ship in Star Wars is driven by a human pilot and something similar happens with Assimovs Foundation Series) . The high tech level made it feel "modern".
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

Hipster^
    Outside Context Problem (OCP), the kind of problem "most civilisations would encounter just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop."

SO I had a dentists appointment, a tri in to town to book for estonia and an hour of Ingressing (in 30 degree boody heat may I add) so got to listen to a chunk of Cosinder phlebas today, the disasterous raid on the temple of light and the initial part of the Megaship, including the brief state of play bit where we are introduced to the (currently broken legged) culture referrer.

At the scene in the hanger, where Horza is forced to snap zalin's neck I was briefly confused by the desciptions of a "silver haired youth" as I seemed to remember him having RED hair, my confusion was later releived when we get introduced to the red haired medic who received a brief and rather terminal introduction to the difference between spin and mass.

This did make me curious, sure the Orbitals generate gravity through sin and AG works against mass, but there are reference to the "ultra dense" plate material logicaly, would it not make sense that the AG could push against that?, I suppose Iain was neer really in to the hard sci fi side of things, I am honestly not sure how much research he did and the spaceships were mostly, I think, backdrops for character exploration and fantastical iganings. Presumbly floater harnesses don't use AG then :P

I am enjoying this book but it is LONG, quite a few hours in and still a fair few chapters to go.
    Phaze
    on the "I note nobody had posted in the thread for a while, whereabouts are you lot with the reading at this stage" ID

I'm getting though it at about the same speed.

Enjoying seeing which bits I remember from nearly 20 years ago & which bits seem totally new to me

I must say the chapters are coming across almost as short stories in themselves (not sure if that's a good or bad thing).

As for the AG mass/spin thing, I seem to recall that topic coming up on the board here before a while back, I'm sure C.Bob had a few thoughts on the matter
    "Just have fun"

Thank you DB

+ Reply to Thread