+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The point of The Business?

Default The point of The Business?

I've just finished reading The Business (working through the non-SF of Iain Banks). On page 384, when I read the sentence, "I used a search engine." (where the main character is referring to her maltreatment of a car engine in order to make the car's owner confess) I had a strong feeling that the entire book started with this single sentence.

It might just have been that coffee just had talking, or there might be something to this.

Does anyone know anything about how and where Iain Banks got the ideas for this particular book?
    Celebrate Iain (M.) Banks on Special Circumstances Day, June 28!
    More info: http://zrajm.org/sc-day/

I don't know where he got the idea , I do know it's my least favourite out of the 6 Iain Banks' books I have read thus far [ I have all of his non SF works now ] and felt as I was reading it that he appeared to be going through the motions , I didn't feel as if there was not much of a point to the story at all and I've enjoyed all his other books so far .
    Just my opinion .

Yeah, his later nonSF works were a little pedestrian, have you tried the Iain "M" Banks novels?
    "Just have fun"

I think it is the one most influenced by Jane Austen. I quite liked it, but not his strongest.

Where's the Austen link Dave?
    "Just have fun"

Thematic. I think you could easily transplant the character of Kate to any Austen novel, or perhaps Iain lifted her from Austen into his work. I have no evidence apart from one of Iain stock answers when asked what writers he admired being along the lines of "too many to mention from Austen to Zelazny".

Ahh, ok thanks
    "Just have fun"

Deep Black - I've not read any of his Science Fiction novels , I have most of them in my collection , would you recommend one to start with - I'm currently a few pages in with ' The Quarry ' . Although Sci Fi novels aren't my thing I did enjoy watching ' Rogue One ' yesterday [ been staying with my daughter in Inverness over the New Year holidays as I had a hospital appointment on the 28th December ] .

+ Reply to Thread