+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Iain Banks: The Biography

Both sound interesting, any links to news on them?
    "Just have fun"

Paul tweeted on Thursday that he has sent off his manuscript, see: https://twitter.com/pkincaid_critic/...89893015515136.

Downloaded the first couple of chapters or so of the Craig Cabell book that kindle lets you read for free. From the (badly formatted) contents and introduction it's a biography followed by a critical review / analysis of the novels. Each of the non-m books gets a chapter but the sf books a lumped into a couple (novels and shorts). The intro is mainly based around the couple of times Cabell met and interviewed Banks and fairly well captures what it was like to meet Iain. However the bio bits I read appear to be pulled together from existing sources and have some weird biases (multiple mentions of girl Iain knew at school that goes nowhere) and he goes on for ages about the Drunken Climbing At Worldcon thing. It's not totally terrible, but based on what I read and what reviews Cabell's other books have got I'm not going to bother with the rest of it, even if it's only a couple of quid

Thanks for the overview
    "Just have fun"

+ Reply to Thread