+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Iain Banks: The Biography

Default Iain Banks: The Biography

Listed for next June, by Craig Cabell from John Blake Publishing. I know nothing other than what is listed on book selling websites.
    Search for ISBN: 9781782199021

Do we know who Craig Cabell is?
    "Just have fun"

Speaking as a huge discworld fan, I will quote from one review (of the 20 one star reviews his Pratchett "Biography" gets) in what seems, from my discussions with those close to Terry, an accurate summation
    Please avoid this. It's a horrifically written non-biography that has no information that isn't already out there and easy to find.
    Edit, found an even better quote
    This is a blatant piece of deception. It is not written by TP and is a compilation of the writers narrow views on creativity and copious unrelated and irrelevant excerpts from other authors. Having ploughed through half of the book and skimmed the rest I returned it as being a blatant piece of deception that should have a health warning about the risks of high blood pressure
    Phaze
    on the "nuff said methinks, if his other works are anything to go by, avoid at all costs" ID
    Last edited by phazedout; 10-12-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Have no idea who Craig Cabell is, but reading through the reviews on Amazon of his Terry Prachett biography, leaves me trepidatious about any biography of Banks by him.

Sounds like exploitation.
    'Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

Waterstone's website says "Publication Abandoned". See: http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...anks/10116062/

"other editions may be available"?
    Sounds dodgy
    "Just have fun"

Sort of reviving this thread, it's been a coupe of years now, we've had tiime to get alittle distance from the upset. So is there anyone (perhaps Ken) who might undertake this as a serious project? Yeh closest we've had is the whisley tour booj, which touched on his life a bit, I for one would buy a well researched bio

Well, Mr Cabell is back with the Kindle only http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019Y635Q6. Not sure how much it differs from the previous one that was withdrawn. I believe there will be two critical, rather than biographical works published in 2016. The first of these is in the Modern Masters of Science Fiction series, and is being written by Paul Kincaid, and given that it is a single author assessing Iain's work there will be biographical sections. The other is a by product of the Banks symposium at Brunel in September 2013 which will be chapters by different authors.

+ Reply to Thread