+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Iain Banks Celebration at Huddersfield Literature Festival - Saturday 15th March 2014

Default Iain Banks Celebration at Huddersfield Literature Festival - Saturday 15th March 2014

There will be a special Celebration of the Life and Works of Iain Banks at Huddersfield Literature Festival on Saturday 15th March 2014, between 14:00 and 19:00.

The director Michelle Hodgson (who used to be a publicist at his publishers) and will be talking about going on tour with Iain. Gary Lloyd will be talking about his musical collaborations with Iain including Espedair Street. Ken MacLeod will be talking about his school-friend and their influence on each other’s work. I will be talking about The Wasp Factory. There will also be a panel talking about Iain’s science fiction work including Ken, David Barnett and John Jarrold (who used to edit Iain’s SF).

I will let you know when tickets are available, which should be before Christmas.
    Details should soon be available at: http://www.litfest.org.uk/
    Last edited by daveh; 04-12-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Tidy up

Quite a lineup.
    Drink, but very carefully...

Yeah looks promising
    "Just have fun"

Michelle wrote an article about Iain which was in the Observer yesterday, but only got put online today.
    See http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...chelle-hodgson
    Tickets at this event she is running (and be speaking at) should be available soon. I will let you know.

Was that a scouser fan? I wonder?
    Drink, but very carefully...

More details:
    2-2.10pm Introduction by Festival Director Michelle Hodgson

2.10-3pm The Wasp Factory – Iain Banks's breakthrough
    Banks wrote a million words and six novels before the publication of The Wasp Factory in 1984. David Haddock, editor of The Banksoniain fanzine, discusses those early works, as well as Banks’s breakthrough novel and its cover art from around the world.

3-3.30pm Conversation & curries – Michelle Hodgson shares anecdotes from 10 years’ of publicity tours with Banks. Includes a 10-minute publicity film from 1993, made by George Cairns.

4-5pm Espedair Street: A tribute to a band that never existed
    Composer and producer Gary Lloyd talks about his musical collaborations with Banks, focusing in particular on their tribute to the band Frozen Gold from Banks's novel Espedair Street. Features extracts of recordings from this and other projects, including a narrative/music adaptation of The Bridge.

5.30-6pm Songs of Stone: Iain Banks as a poet
    Iain Banks wrote many poems, some of which appear in his novels. His long-time friend and fellow SF author Ken MacLeod reads from and discusses the collection that Banks wanted to see in print.

6-7pm The Culture & other stories – Ken MacLeod is joined by agent John Jarrold(Banks’s former SF publisher) and journalist and steam punk novelist David Barnettto discuss Banks’s contribution to SF.

Full day ticket 12 (10 conc). Age guidance 14+ (under-18s should be accompanied by an adult) 2 from the sale of every ticket will go to Macmillan Cancer Support, Registered Charity No: 261017.

Booking is via Lawrence Batley Theatre website (thelbt.org) or phone 01484 430528

There is a Facebook event page at: https://www.facebook.com/events/458869420886186/

I'm looking free for this weekend (which makes a change for me)

Two questions Dave:
    1) where do I book? thelbt.org seems to have nothing listed
    &
    2) (perhaps more importantly) has this venue got a bar? Is it a good bar? & can the drinks be brought into the talks?

Ta
    "Just have fun"

I will try and find out Deep.

Should be up for this.

Gave the box office a ring and they say tickets should be going on sale in about a week

The event is now on the booking site: http://www.thelbt.org/celebration-life-works-iain-banks
    By the way there is also a picture of me and my Wasp Factorys at http://www.litfest.org.uk/?q=artists

+ Reply to Thread