+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Quarry (SPOILERS)

Default The Quarry (SPOILERS)

I'm not going in depth, but I'm not going to white-out or otherwise hide spoilers, so if you haven't finished the book yet, this would be a good place to stop reading this thread.
    "No, I like my lot as well as any other."

Well, somebody has to start it. Finished The Quarry a week or so ago, I'm not sure, and I immediately jumped all the way back to The Wasp Factory.

Maybe it's just because they are the first and the last, but I saw some parallels in the odd father with the odder son. Of course, Kit is much more stable than Jack from TWF, but it still bugged me, both families live in somewhat unusual places (are private islands common in Scotland?), both have mysteries about their pasts (rather a IMB trademark), but, to tell the truth, I was almost kind of hoping that Kit's mom was Jack.

I've read what Iain had to say about the book, and Adele's comments, but even more so than Garbadale, Iain has put himself in a starring role in the book. I don't know how much he ever went back and edited/rewrote in his process, but I doubt it will ever be possible to tease out what was just him writing as usual and what is his last testament.

Not sure if I should have started this thread, I might not be ready to write about it yet.

Anyway, onwards. I've heard that some people think that the Lazy Gun was just a MacGuffin, but the MacGuffin in The Quarry is just short of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, and to tell the truth, I found that rather unsatisfying. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be, perhaps he ran out of time.

I re-read everything. I didn't dislike the book, but in a year or so, I'll come back, and I hope I like it better then.
    "No, I like my lot as well as any other."

I'm not sure if I'm ready to comment properly on 'The Quarry' yet either.

I finished it weeks ago, it went too quickly.

I... hate to say it but my immediate feeling upon finishing it was a little bit of disappointment. I don't want to sound churlish at all, that's just what I felt.

Hmm, I didn't dislike the book either, perhaps I just had poignancy overload.

Every time I picked the book up I couldn't help but think; "This is it, this is his last and final work", perhaps that overshadowed my reading, I don't know.

The truly selfish part of me just wishes he'd gone out on a rollicking, massive Culture novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Recurrent Epistaxis (ROU) View Post
    The truly selfish part of me just wishes he'd gone out on a rollicking, massive Culture novel.
    So did Iain apparently, he said words to that effect in Raw Spirit.
    Drink, but very carefully...

I saved reading my copy of The Quarry, just not wanting there not be another new book I suppose, but read it last week on holiday. it does feel a tad unfinished, but then so was TMH unfortunately. However - 2 things - I must be even more OCD than Kit because I know that there were German artillery called "77s" - they were First World War vintage artillery pieces. Secondly - who the hell is Jack in The Wasp Factory?
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
    "Still. Abominator class; we have a reputation to protect. Fuck me, the others are going to be so jealous!"

So, I started listening to the Quarry this week, cannot belive I didn't spot this on first reading perhaps as I had just moved to Finland so may have missed it.
    I was going to start a separate thread entitled "Kit, the quarry and aspergers, a final comment by TMH". About 3 chapters in now and it is, as a perosn firmly on the specturm yself, at times painfully obivous that Kit has aspergers, I have experinced many of these symptoms myself and have rarely so strongly idnetified with a character written by Iain as I do with Kit.

Anyone else here either on the specturm or have a relative with Aspergers and can see this in Kit?
    Alan

While I didn't fail to notice it, I like that your experience of the Quarry was entirely yours and different from mine. I have the idea that films and audio books force one interpretation on you, and that's why audio and video tend to be shared activities, while reading is normally solitary.

Quote Originally Posted by phazedout View Post
    So, I started listening to the Quarry this week, cannot belive I didn't spot this on first reading perhaps as I had just moved to Finland so may have missed it.
    I was going to start a separate thread entitled "Kit, the quarry and aspergers, a final comment by TMH". About 3 chapters in now and it is, as a perosn firmly on the specturm yself, at times painfully obivous that Kit has aspergers, I have experinced many of these symptoms myself and have rarely so strongly idnetified with a character written by Iain as I do with Kit.

Anyone else here either on the specturm or have a relative with Aspergers and can see this in Kit?
    Alan
    I have a son with Aspergers / Tourettes [ mild ] , OCD , ADHD and perhaps an as yet undiagnosed syndrome - and of course I could relate to Kit .
    I finished ' The Quarry ' the other day , it wasn't the best novel I had read , not the worst either , I would imagine that Iain's mind was on other things at the time of writing .
    I am lucky in that I have yet to read Iain's first 7 novels and none of his Science Fiction ones .

+ Reply to Thread