+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: The Empire of Azad (SPOILERS).

Sorry, to discuss the Azad regime, I like what old vig said about the uk reflection. I can see the class war power structure link to the games. I was a bit shocked by the behaviour of the emperor when playing Gurgeh, psychopathic, yes but wasn't the game already rigged in the public eye? It seemed like a teenage tantrum/wobbler!

Quote Originally Posted by cloudpine451 View Post
    Sorry, to discuss the Azad regime, I like what old vig said about the uk reflection. I can see the class war power structure link to the games. I was a bit shocked by the behaviour of the emperor when playing Gurgeh, psychopathic, yes but wasn't the game already rigged in the public eye? It seemed like a teenage tantrum/wobbler!
    As rigged as the Azadians could make it... Check the passage where Gurgeh is blackmailed, who else was present at the game.
    Drink, but very carefully...

The little one is absolutely fiendish! I suppose it is a prerequisite quality of a member of Contact!

Quote Originally Posted by cloudpine451 View Post
    They need a star like Ford to take the obligatory terrible star wars scripts and shine through them. Easier said than done...

Who could be Gurgeh? I just don't know. Please not Russell Brand!
    Roger Allam. And Brian Blessed could voice Chamlis Amalk-ney

I John Simm would make a pretty decent Emperor Nicosar.
    'Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

Hmmmm, let's reboot this thread.

JJ Abrams' take on Star Trek may be over before it's begun with the cynical, recycled Into Darkness and SW is a creative husk bought out by Disney, with the real sci-fi powerhouse in the past half decade being the Marvel films - I've been blown away by Guardians of the Galaxy. That's the kind film the Culture movies should be modelled on.
    'Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

I've said it other places in the forum, IMO JJ Abrams is a vacuous hack, who has never had a single creative idea in his life—or at least the part of it devoted to video media—his genius seems to reside in his ability to get hired repeatedly. I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy, but I've read reviews that piqued my interest. I used to think Joss Whedon possessed the ability to intersperse drama and comedy, action and exposition, with the kind of wit and intelligence that anyone undertaking to make a real Culture movie would require. I say 'used to' because he now seems dedicated (indentured may be a better word—if indentured can be used in the context of getting filthy rich) to making nothing but Avengers movies for the rest of his career.

JJ Abrams being overhyped has merit when Lost was genuinely good for the first couple or so seasons, but his output is still more solid and competent than the output of Tim Burton (in the past decade or so), Michael Bay, and George Lucas.

+ Reply to Thread