+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Iain's last Guardian interview

Default Iain's last Guardian interview

Iain's last Guardian interview was published today.

Link

More from said interview.
    Last edited by Av Demeisen; 15-06-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Made me tear up… bloody weather
    *gets up, takes dog for walk, tries unsuccessfully to shake the feeling, ...feeling of profound loss.*
    Last edited by Brutalsubtlety; 16-07-2013 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Derp, ‘weather’ and then he stormed out, muttering about deadlines, aliasing, kerning, what dea faeeq alterations, tea, and r
    Outside Context Problem (OCP), the kind of problem "most civilisations would encounter just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop."

I know what you mean Brut. I can't bring myself to read The Quarry yet; I know I'll just end up crying and be unable to read through the tears.

Quote Originally Posted by charismatic megafauna View Post
    I know what you mean Brut. I can't bring myself to read The Quarry yet; I know I'll just end up crying and be unable to read through the tears.
    At least youíve read Hydrogen Sonata, Iím not going to go anywhere near that story for a good while yet; perhaps once time cool things down a tadÖ
    Although having it there, unread, is a little irrationally reassuring.
    Outside Context Problem (OCP), the kind of problem "most civilisations would encounter just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop."

I've read THS twice, once when it came out and about a month later, before any of the unpleasantness happened. I know any future reread will be fraught with the psychological baggage of Iain's death. I did mention in one of my posts in "The Hydrogen Sonata spoilers" that Iain seemed to be confronting his own mortality in the novel. A bit too frighteningly prescient for me deal with now.

a friend of a friend over on one of the other Fora I inhabit, posted the following tribute to Mr Banks:
    http://thesecretgates.com/2013/04/in...-iain-m-banks/

+ Reply to Thread