+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Quarry

Got my copy today, think I'm gonna save it a bit before reading it though
    "Just have fun"

I shall be travelling on a journey, of sorts, in august.

I have decided, in honour of Iain's final Journey, I will read the Quarry as I commence that one.

Alan

The Quarry: Iain Banks – digested read
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013...-digested-read

Not read it as those things tend to be totally spoilerific... some of the comments are entertaining mind

Got my copy today... but I think I'll be putting off reading it for a while too. There's an actual quarry not far from my house and I might take a wander over when I've got a bit of spare time to read the first few pages with it as a backdrop.

I'm currently immensely enjoying re-reading the Hydrogen Sonata, but I think I'll go straight to The Quarry afterwards. I usually don't read regular fiction, but the passages that were read out loud in the BBC interview made me hopeful I might enjoy this.

A fair bit of swearing though wasn't there
    "Just have fun"

My copy just got delivered to my reader, will finish re-reading Against a Dark Background first.
    "No, I like my lot as well as any other."

I'm reading it right now, it's going all too quickly (I'm perhaps two thirds of the way through, it's hard to put down).

Really enjoying it though, even with the unavoidable poignancy I feel every time I pick up a Banks book now.

The main character 'Kit', reminds me of myself a little sometimes, with the OCD (although my OCD is quite mild, and therefore not quite in 'disorder' territory).

Can't/won't say much more than that for now; spoilers and all that.

just to clarify the above and as stated in the culture name ship thread. I am emigrating to Finland in 8 weeks to pursue a masters in software and computer engineering. As I set off on my journey to a new chapter of my life, I shall be reading the quarry, feel it's fitting that I honour iain's final hourney by reading the last book published while he still lived. wil post my thoughts then.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by phazedout View Post
    just to clarify the above and as stated in the culture name ship thread. I am emigrating to Finland in 8 weeks to pursue a masters in software and computer engineering. As I set off on my journey to a new chapter of my life, I shall be reading the quarry, feel it's fitting that I honour iain's final hourney by reading the last book published while he still lived. wil post my thoughts then.
    Alan
    Poignant, best of luck.
    Drink, but very carefully...

http://www.bookandreader.com/threads...-quarry.26074/

My review if you're interested, save me retyping.
    Drink, but very carefully...

+ Reply to Thread