+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What Do Idirans Look Like?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Vig View Post
    On second thoughts your Idiran chair could be a memoryform, and the back support would move into place as the sitter sits. IMB does not say that Idirans have morphing furniture, however a civ capable of taking on the culture must possess some high tech.
    So why doesn't Horza's chair morph to accommodate him? It appears the chair is quite a significant obstacle in every sense to the two front, one back configuration as like humans, Idirans sit down. Still count your blessings, at least it's not an Idiran lavatory, Horza would probably fall in.

I'm thinking about this Idiran a little differently now, I'm getting a sense of being that has physical aspects of bilateral and trilateral symmetry having evolved from a creature that had a wholly trilateral configuration, sounds complicated but I sketched it out and it sort of made sense, I'll post it up for slaughter later.
    Last edited by Conscious Bob; 06-03-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Musings
    Drink, but very carefully...

Personally I think that Iain intentionally avoided the specifics of tripedal leg configurations (as he so gracefully sidesteps many similarly mind confounding issues) because there are no precedents for such creatures really, its a damned complicated thing to conceptualise properly, and he likes people to draw their own conclusions on a lot of things.

as for my conclusions on the matter if the pros and cons were weighed I would prefer think of the leg as being behind, I did this when designing the creature before and there are many benefits to articulation of movement, defensive posturing and general melee combat that I felt the singular front limb would fall short on but at the end of the day making a creature with a penis leg is just laughable and there's no two ways around it in my mind.

On bobs thoughts on the ancestor species being omni-directional that's how I always thought of them.
    Opinions stated like FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew j Short View Post
    as for my conclusions on the matter if the pros and cons were weighed I would prefer think of the leg as being behind, I did this when designing the creature before and there are many benefits to articulation of movement, defensive posturing and general melee combat that I felt the singular front limb would fall short on but at the end of the day making a creature with a penis leg is just laughable and there's no two ways around it in my mind.
    Heh, only if you've got a dirty mind, nature has a sense of humour, baboon bottoms go figure.

Here's a sketch of something that might give rise to the modern Idiran, it's a creature with trilateral symmetry and has full surround vision. It has three arms which finish in three keratin claws.

Here's the modern Idiran, one arm has become vestigial the other two arms are now longer with three fingered hands and the eyes on this side have grown further apart and larger giving rise to the 'saddle'. I think this side of the Idiran became the front because of the position of the mouth and it's use in communication. The Idiran leg plan is still the same.

This particular design is very similar to one Big Orange came up with.

Oh yeah I forgot, Idirans don't smile with their mouths...

I found this on youtube

Don't know if this has been shown on this forum before but I quite enjoyed it. Nothing to do with Idirans though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan Foss View Post
    I found this on youtube
    Yes, that's a great video - and its creator Andrew j Short posted on the first page of this thread. But for future reference it is probably a good idea to have the video posted here, too.

Really!?! Well, good work Andrew, hope you keep it up!

+ Reply to Thread