+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: What Do Idirans Look Like?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    Andrew Strong's excellent interpretation could conceivably allow for this, if the rear leg can be tucked under the body so that it projects forward when sitting down. An un-natural posture, perhaps, but maybe no less un-natural than a human sitting in an armchair as opposed to squatting on his haunches.
    I think it's a great design but the sitting scene doesn't allow for a single rear facing limb, now if Iain had written in for Xoralundra the ability to tuck his leg up his bottom I would agree but the fact is he didn't.
    Drink, but very carefully...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Are we even sure that there are front and rear legs? Couldn't they have three legs sitting side by side? That way Idirans could sit down on chairs just like (wide) humans.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coral Beach View Post
    Are we even sure that there are front and rear legs? Couldn't they have three legs sitting side by side? That way Idirans could sit down on chairs just like (wide) humans.
    Nope, much as this would solve many problems the legs are described as 'a tripod of thick legs'. When the Hand of God 137 is rocked by enemy fire Xoralundra barely moves because of the stability of this configuration.
    Drink, but very carefully...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious Bob View Post
    Nope, much as this would solve many problems the legs are described as 'a tripod of thick legs'. When the Hand of God 137 is rocked by enemy fire Xoralundra barely moves because of the stability of this configuration.
    True, there's that. I just don't know how safely this tripod description can be taken to deduce the configuration, and not just the momentary posture. A human can for example put the left leg forward and the right one more to the rear - now add a third leg on the right and move it forward, and you have a tripodish pose. It would be a stable standing position for such a creature and hence likely to be used in shaky situations, much like humans spread their legs a bit for more stability. But I'm not dead set on this, it was just a thought - and I think such a creature would look silly.

    Some other random thoughts and observations - when Xoxarle gets hit by Horza's fire: "The air glowed with laser fire as he dived for the first side tunnel; the wall blew out at him, and something hit his leg and back." And a bit later: "His keratinous back plates were almost burnt through where the Changer had shot him, and his leg was hit, too, slowing him all the time."
    A single leg gets hit when shot from behind, and the leg apparently warrants no further specification. This could lead one to believe there is only one back leg.

    On the other hand, when Xoxarle is carrying Balveda on his back, she tries to kick him in the knees (plural). This seems to indicate there are two backward pointing knees.

    But then again Xoxarle breaks Balveda's arm across his thigh: "He brought one knee out, holding his thigh level with the cavern floor...". This sounds like there are several knees to choose from; if there was only one possible knee to bring out that way (i.e. the knee of a single front leg), then one would rather expect a phrasing like "he brought his knee out".

    So that's a bunch of rather weak and contradictory conclusions, obviously.

    We do learn though that an Idiran can stand reasonably well on only two legs, which I think is significant. This can be troublesome for tripedal designs, and "wide" Idirans like those in the pictures posted by Deep Black would need to do some serious weight shifting contortions to avoid falling over. And maybe they do just that, though I would prefer a narrower configuration where the natural position of the thighs is more vertical.

    Speaking of thighs and such, going by the words used the structure of a single Idiran leg seems to be similar to that of a human, i.e. thigh, knee, lower leg, ankle, feet/toes. There is no mentioning of additional joints and segments as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Coral Beach; 05-03-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coral Beach View Post
    On the other hand, when Xoxarle is carrying Balveda on his back, she tries to kick him in the knees (plural). This seems to indicate there are two backward pointing knees.

    But then again Xoxarle breaks Balveda's arm across his thigh: "He brought one knee out, holding his thigh level with the cavern floor...". This sounds like there are several knees to choose from; if there was only one possible knee to bring out that way (i.e. the knee of a single front leg), then one would rather expect a phrasing like "he brought his knee out".

    So that's a bunch of rather weak and contradictory conclusions, obviously.

    We do learn though that an Idiran can stand reasonably well on only two legs, which I think is significant. This can be troublesome for tripedal designs, and "wide" Idirans like those in the pictures posted by Deep Black would need to do some serious weight shifting contortions to avoid falling over. And maybe they do just that, though I would prefer a narrower configuration where the natural position of the thighs is more vertical.

    Speaking of thighs and such, going by the words used the structure of a single Idiran leg seems to be similar to that of a human, i.e. thigh, knee, lower leg, ankle, feet/toes. There is no mentioning of additional joints and segments as far as I can tell.
    The point you make about Xoxarle carrying Balveda was the reason my design was one leg front two legs back but I never considered backward facing knees because of sitting but I appreciate that isn't a problem.

    Something else, Andrew J Short felt that six eyes would be appropriate for an Idiran, I'm inclined to agree particularly with reference to the point you make about the vestigial arm.

    Genuine question do you get the impression that while Idirans move forward in one direction, they've evolved from an animal that was omnidirectional?
    Drink, but very carefully...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Derby - UK
    Posts
    3,481

    Default

    & I was picturing Rolf Harris as an Idiran:
    "Just have fun"

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old York
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Perhaps Idirans have very flexible waists, allowing their upper body to face forwards over a wide range of movement- possibly an entire semicircle, or even more; this would allow them to sometimes have one leg in front, sometimes two. Something like the way an owl can turn it's head round in a nearly complete circle.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    446

    Default

    I can imagine a chair incorporating a back support, to suit a rear 3rd leg. It would be asymmetrical, the support would have to cantilever from one side and the sitter would have to maneuver in sideways from the other side. I don't know if that helps the discussion though.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    446

    Default

    On second thoughts your Idiran chair could be a memoryform, and the back support would move into place as the sitter sits. IMB does not say that Idirans have morphing furniture, however a civ capable of taking on the culture must possess some high tech.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Vig View Post
    I can imagine a chair incorporating a back support, to suit a rear 3rd leg. It would be asymmetrical, the support would have to cantilever from one side and the sitter would have to maneuver in sideways from the other side. I don't know if that helps the discussion though.
    That's why I mentioned Horza, the chair is not uncomfortable for him. I'm sure if the chair required certain amendments to accommodate a rear leg they would've been described.
    Drink, but very carefully...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts