+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What does a GSV look like from the outside?

Beautiful, and great to see those hills in a landscape perspective. Get it on the art thread!

Nice & welcome to the board Flyberius.
    Where did the picture come from?
    "Just have fun"

From reading Excession I got the impression that I'm a poet and I don't know it, and also that the Sleeper Service was basically a brick, but with a kind of step at the back (in other words, the engine level continued abaft the rear of the upper decks).

Originally I found the pic after Mr Banks' death. I wanted to get some tribute material together for no particular reason. I believe I simply google'd 'GSV' and found this absolute gem of a picture.

More alternative covers and pictures can be found here. Don't know who this person is but they really have a handle on the Culture-verse.

http://colouredvapour.blogspot.co.uk...1_archive.html

I made this for Orion's Arm, but one of the members there said it looked a bit like a GSV, and I thought of this thread so I'm posting it here.

The posted picture looks great, but that's not really how the Sleeper Service, or any Plate classe GSV looks like, according to the source material.

As posted here, it looks kind of like a brick, though not exactly - Banks is very vague in his descriptions.
    I'll try to get my model somewhat done ere long. I'll but a a little flair into it, but try to stay as accurate as possible...

amerelium, the actual physical dimensions may be brick-shaped, but you seem to have forgotten the numerous shields surrounding the brick, which give Culture ships an ovoid outward appearance. If you notice, at the center of eburacum45's illustration there is something that appears rectangular in shape, this is surrounded by what I imagine must be the numerous shields every Culture ship possesses. eburacum45's illustration is certainly within the realm of possibility. In TPoG (around page 100 depending upon which edition you have), Banks describes the GSV Little Rascal as being 53 km in length, 22 km across the beam, and 4 km in height, with shields that enclosed 90 km in length. Upon leaving the GSV it's noted the Superlifter Prime Mover moves through "many layers of fields, the bumpfield, the insulating, the sensory, the signaling and receptor, the energy and traction, the hullfield, the outer sensory and finally, the horizon". Lots of fields surround Culture ships, which a ship can vary opacity or penetrability according to whim or need.

Ah, methinks you misunderstood my comment; I wasn't refering to the post just above mine (should have spesified), but one linked further up - the colouredvapour link.

What makes contructing the model of the ship a bit complicated is the description in Excession of the pyramid step like look of all the external bay doors - I'm trying to encorporate that in a way that still makes it look sleek.

1st test render - crude model, lo quality, based on Plate class descriptions from Excession and Player of Games

Cool, keep going...
    "Just have fun"

+ Reply to Thread