+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What does a GSV look like from the outside?

It's cool that Banks wasn't too prescriptive about the gsv's. Next time I draw one I gotta try to make it more interesting than the blocky one in the art thread. One of the later, larger ones with the separate elements. The point you made AMV about engineering elegance was great. It's so tempting as you imagine very large ships, to opt for simpler shapes.

Personally I find the question "What is a GSV capable of?" more promising; aesthetics are defined by processes/materials, so an answer to your question could be "Whatever they damn wish to look like." :-)

Capability thread here.
    Last edited by Divided Loyalty; 30-10-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    "Ah, family life, eh?"

Quote Originally Posted by Divided Loyalty View Post
    Personally I find the question "What is a GSV capable of?" more promising; aesthetics are defined by processes/materials, so an answer to your question could be "Whatever they damn wish to look like."
    The ships within the novels are described as is the environment in which they require to operate so a response to the answer of that question could be 'Thanks Captain Obvious, your fan art consultancy fee is in the post.'
    Drink, but very carefully...

Ah, we may be speaking of inspirational imagery... I took the liberty to post this in the art thread, might be helpful. :-)
    "Ah, family life, eh?"

All impressions help collectively speaking.
    Drink, but very carefully...

There's very litte description of the various ships in the novels, but one can dig up some - as for GSVs you get some clues to the inner appearance of the Sleeper Service in Excession

I've actually started a little project myself; I'm creating models og various Culture ships in Lightwave 3D, as accurate as possible in terms of dimensions and appearance - Working on the Sleeper Service right now.

Quote Originally Posted by amerelium View Post
    Working on the Sleeper Service right now.
    As long as I can use it in a Homeworld 2 mod. ;-)
    "Ah, family life, eh?"

You love Homeworld 2 too?!

Props.

"Capital ship has cleared."
    Been a fan since the first. Used to forget about mission objectives just to zoom the view around the Mothership (AKA Bananaship) and the beautiful background.
    Spent 5+ hours fooling around, collecting RU's, trying to get to the edge of the world map, or crash into a planet.
    When I knew Shipbreakers was going to be a new Homeworld IP I might've let out a very unmasculine squeal.
    I miss that Sensor Manager popping up. *vroOOOoomp*
    "Ah, family life, eh?"

Default No one has posted this yet!!!

I waited a good number of weeks to post this (account hadn't been accepted) and I am surprised that in that time this glorious picture was not posted.

Behold the glory of a GSV with its fields down (Or simply set to transparent. I imagine there are very few situations in which a GSV lowering its fields doesn't result in cataclysmic hurricanes to anyone on the outer surfaces.).

Beautiful eh?

+ Reply to Thread