+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming Thread

Some Geologers were talking about Ice ages on the radio recently. (In terms of millions of years) were still in the ice age (although towards the end) then you get a green earth period where all or most of the poles are ice free. So it has been & it will be again a lot warmer than it is now
    "Just have fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Black View Post
    Some Geologers were talking about Ice ages on the radio recently. (In terms of millions of years) were still in the ice age (although towards the end) then you get a green earth period where all or most of the poles are ice free. So it has been & it will be again a lot warmer than it is now
    Yes , of course, the big questions are :
    To which extent is the current warming a by product of human activity?
    Will continued green house emissions create a warming effect which can't be reverted?
    Can we plan to be prepared for this warming?

And then of course we have the deniers : those who think the earth isnt getting warmer at all.
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

Cool Good news for farmers ( specially for BrutalSubtlety )

Weather has been hotting up recently . An Ausie was nice enough to invent an irrigation system for farmers in dire need in the land down under ( and elsewhere ) .

http://www.jamesdysonaward.org/Proje...t.aspx?ID=1722

Quote Originally Posted by adelatorre View Post
    Weather has been hotting up recently . An Ausie was nice enough to invent an irrigation system for farmers in dire need in the land down under ( and elsewhere ).
    Yeah, that'll replace their aquifers...
    Drink, but very carefully...

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious Bob View Post
    Yeah, that'll replace their aquifers...
    Nah , but if things continue hotting up down there he'll probably get one hell of a business specially if he puts his moiture farm in ...

... Perth.
    http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/201...er-recorded-3/

Global Warming might better be classified as Global Weirding. Last year temps (in F degrees, figure them out yourself if you want that weird C measurement system) where I live were in the mid 90s and no rain around this time for about a month and a half. It was like the upper midwest US had been shifted to Texas. So far this year it's running 30-40 degrees cooler and it rains almost constantly. Like suddenly, goodbye Texas, hello Pacific Northwest. Average them together and we are at normal conditions for the last two years. Ahh, the meaningless Law of Averages. And that doesn't even take into consideration last year's totally bizarre Summer in March 10 day period when it was so abnormally warm that some overnight lows were higher than the previous record daytime highs, and daytime temps were like July. Plants leafed out a full month earlier than normal, then many died in the June/July heatwave/drought. The weather here is really becoming strange beyond belief.

Well , it's nice to know you are enjoying of a temperate weather and plenty rainfall.
    Down here in Mexico City we've been having 85 degrees for almost a month and no rainfall in the last 30 days... slightly worisome for a city with 21+ million inhabitants

I think those weird wether patterns are similar to the effect of blowing hot air into a cube of ice. As the ice melts part the air becomes colder , so I guess that will be a common pattern while we still have ice in the poles. My guess : this year we will see a bigger melt in the north pole than last year.
    Last edited by adelatorre; 09-06-2013 at 06:16 AM.

I wouldn't worry about global warming, as was pointed out it's happened before and it will happen again, natural causes.
    The Earth was fine before we got here and it will be just as fine when we're gone..

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    I wouldn't worry about global warming, as was pointed out it's happened before and it will happen again, natural causes.
    The Earth was fine before we got here and it will be just as fine when we're gone..
    Unless you mean gone in a Mountain-Class GSV or above ... I would feel more comfortable if the appropiate technology to cope with the aforementioned warming is developed and implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    I have no doubt the Earth will be fine, the question is will we? Given the vast majority of species have been wiped out by natural causes we may be adding fat to the fire.
    Drink, but very carefully...

+ Reply to Thread