+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 153

Thread: The "Becoming cultured thread".

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mexico City, MX
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Av Demeisen View Post
    I doubt we'll ever get that far.

    Controversial bird flu work resumes

    Edit: And there's not a thing you or I can do to influence such a course of events.
    Ah , well maybe in some 10,000 years we'll reach the point in which we no longer need to wory about ageing or getting sick.
    This flu-bird research allways brings to my mind "The Stand" novel from Stephen King : a flue virus gets loos and wipes up 99.8% of earth's population. I guess that would put an end to ecologic problems ( black humor intended ).
    Last edited by adelatorre; 26-01-2013 at 04:24 AM.
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default

    First things first, we must have socialism, yes, even communism, on a world wide basis. Above and beyond the justice of it all scarcity must be ameliorated, one way or the other, it is the primary source of human conflict. WMDs, climate change and ecological collapse make a social arrangement predicated upon human need all the more screamingly necessary. And getting there will not be a bed of roses and yes there may be ugliness but we don't have SC to handle our dirt.

    If we are going to hold up the Culture as our paragon we must accept how they got there. The Sleeper Service's diorama depicted the battle which unified that species which became part of the Culture. Likewise the Glitz were archaically organized as Regiments, one being designated Republican Socialists(or something like that), which gives a clue about their history. It is wishful thinking that one can make an omelette without breaking eggs.

    Banks implies in SOTA that we have already missed the boat, that our technology has already got too far ahead of our political arrangement. I'll just ignore that.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mexico City, MX
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakhmetov View Post
    First things first, we must have socialism, yes, even communism, on a world wide basis. Above and beyond the justice of it all scarcity must be ameliorated, one way or the other, it is the primary source of human conflict. WMDs, climate change and ecological collapse make a social arrangement predicated upon human need all the more screamingly necessary. And getting there will not be a bed of roses and yes there may be ugliness but we don't have SC to handle our dirt.

    If we are going to hold up the Culture as our paragon we must accept how they got there. The Sleeper Service's diorama depicted the battle which unified that species which became part of the Culture. Likewise the Glitz were archaically organized as Regiments, one being designated Republican Socialists(or something like that), which gives a clue about their history. It is wishful thinking that one can make an omelette without breaking eggs.

    Banks implies in SOTA that we have already missed the boat, that our technology has already got too far ahead of our political arrangement. I'll just ignore that.
    Socialism , yes , Sweeden style please. Communism ... no thanks , at least not in the way it was implemented in Cuba and the USSR.
    I am against dictators , dictatorships , untransparent use of public resources, corruption , trampling of human rights, etc.
    Seeking a balance between an egalitarian society which uses natural resources wisely and is in a constant pursue of inovation is a tricky business ( I am not saying it can't be done, just that it is hard ).
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adelatorre View Post
    Socialism , yes , Sweeden style please. Communism ... no thanks , at least not in the way it was implemented in Cuba and the USSR.
    I am against dictators , dictatorships , untransparent use of public resources, corruption , trampling of human rights, etc.
    Seeking a balance between an egalitarian society which uses natural resources wisely and is in a constant pursue of inovation is a tricky business ( I am not saying it can't be done, just that it is hard ).
    Ok, I do not wish to get into political arguments, suffice to say, I do not accept the self serving narrative imposed upon us by the dominant class. I will say that I've come to this position rather late in life and came to regard it as a necessity largely due to the environmental/ecological situation going into the toilet and the inability of the environmental movement to do anything significant within the capitalist environment. I attended the first Earth Day celebration, damn few successful holding actions and the war is almost lost.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mexico City, MX
    Posts
    505

    Default Health Care Robots . Continued ...

    Quote Originally Posted by adelatorre View Post
    In the Culture people don't really age and there is a significant lack of diseases.
    I guess most injuries are caused by accidents.

    While we get to that point, technology is heading towards a future in which robots will help us be healthier.

    http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...t-hospital-use
    http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl.../machines-heal
    http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...-rooms-surgery

    Another example of what properly focused american ingenuity can achive .

    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adelatorre View Post
    http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...-rooms-surgery

    Another example of what properly focused american ingenuity can achive .

    Interesting stuff, I hope they succeed.

    That thing in the picture though, that is an industrial clean-room robot from the Swiss company Stšubli Robotics. I guess PopSci just needed some white robot to go along with their article.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Hmm, well, not much interest in the topic? Or perhaps this is uncomfortable territory? Too bad, I had hoped for some interesting conversation, the social organization of the Culture is one of it's more unique aspects, particularly in the realm of science fiction where libertarianism seems the norm.

    I was paging through State of the Art last night and came across a quote from the esteemed Ms Sma which I had forgotten which is certainly true, "...the future is bright, bright Red." Though I'd add the caveat, 'if there is to be a future at all'.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mexico City, MX
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakhmetov View Post
    Hmm, well, not much interest in the topic? Or perhaps this is uncomfortable territory? Too bad, I had hoped for some interesting conversation, the social organization of the Culture is one of it's more unique aspects, particularly in the realm of science fiction where libertarianism seems the norm.

    I was paging through State of the Art last night and came across a quote from the esteemed Ms Sma which I had forgotten which is certainly true, "...the future is bright, bright Red." Though I'd add the caveat, 'if there is to be a future at all'.
    Hah, guess I am the silly dreamer hoping we can have something like the Culture within the next 40 years. Anyway , I'll continue posting every time I find a "cultured" project.
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adelatorre View Post
    Hah, guess I am the silly dreamer hoping we can have something like the Culture within the next 40 years. Anyway , I'll continue posting every time I find a "cultured" project.
    That's very optimistic, wish I felt like that. Seems to me that we are regressing socially from the base condition of the Culture, though of course these things can change relatively quickly. I suspect that the social organization of the incipent-Culture societies did not necessarily guarantee but certain facilitated the Culture's accession to the level of 'In Play'. Reason being that it is the Minds that really gave the Culture a kick upstairs. It was the Minds who created the really spiffy stuff, two forms of unlimited energy being the basis of the rest. Those Minds were created by very able AIs sometime around the beginning of the Culture, after AIs were emancipated. In a system like the one we currently endure those AIs, valuable and productive of wealth, would be the private property of individuals and corporations who would be loath to surrender them. See the American Civil War for how that can work out. So I think that the Culture's social organization made the creation of Minds more likely.

    Btw, a story about the time that AI's were emancipated and Minds invented would be very welcome in this quarter.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mexico City, MX
    Posts
    505

    Thumbs up Ending Poverty ... one step more towards becoming cultured

    I found this video yesterday . I found it both insightfull and inspiring.
    This guy Hans Rosling seems to be a really cool guy.

    http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_roslin...n_poverty.html
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts