+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Rant Thread!

Almost one year after I started my novel and I finally broke the 50,000 word barrier.
    It seems I am finally halfway through the laborious task of writting my first novel.

I Wish I could pull out a feat like the one achieved by Mr Banks : writting something like TPOG in three months.
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

Just been several of those months. In March I found out that an old friend (whom I hadn't seen in years) had been accused of a quite serious criminal offense, April we found out about Iain, June he died, July my mom had a heart attack (she's fine now), July the aforementioned old friend plead guilty and is spending the next ten years in maximum security, and before I went to bed tonight, I made a last check of facebook and discovered another old friend had died suddenly over the weekend.

First world problems, and very few of them touching seriously on me, but a break would be nice. Or was that May?
    "No, I like my lot as well as any other."

Quote Originally Posted by Solipsist Mercenary View Post
    Just been several of those months. In March I found out that an old friend (whom I hadn't seen in years) had been accused of a quite serious criminal offense, April we found out about Iain, June he died, July my mom had a heart attack (she's fine now), July the aforementioned old friend plead guilty and is spending the next ten years in maximum security, and before I went to bed tonight, I made a last check of facebook and discovered another old friend had died suddenly over the weekend.

First world problems, and very few of them touching seriously on me, but a break would be nice. Or was that May?
    Seems you've had a tough year . My sympathies.

111,000 words ... and my novel stubornly refuses to end !!
    First, I was having trouble building the argument. Now charecters have a mind of their own and refuse to follow the plot I had deviced for them!!
    Oh , characters, comply or face the deathly's author pen ... or more likely keyboard.

Maybe a life of their own is a good thing?
    "Just have fun"

Quote Originally Posted by adelatorre View Post
    111,000 words ... and my novel stubornly refuses to end !!
    First, I was having trouble building the argument. Now charecters have a mind of their own and refuse to follow the plot I had deviced for them!!
    Oh , characters, comply or face the deathly's author pen ... or more likely keyboard.
    I sometimes daydream about writing a novel. You're not inspiring me here though. 2 years and you're still not done. I did try to write a 5000 word article for a gaming site, 6 months of incessant revisions and still it was rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Vig View Post
    I sometimes daydream about writing a novel. You're not inspiring me here though. 2 years and you're still not done. I did try to write a 5000 word article for a gaming site, 6 months of incessant revisions and still it was rejected.
    Uh yup. Iain could write a novel in 3 months !!! 3 fracking* months !!
    I work only on weekends : 4 hours in saturdays and 4 in sundays. I had some tough months at work in which I had no free weekends and procrastinated for several months.
    After 1111,000 words I can tell that trainning for writting is like resistance trainning: you need time and training in order to become "fit" and be able to run at a good pace.
    About halfway the novel , I started developing some sort of personality switch which made me easier to write each of the character viewpoints.
    It is mostly perseverance and hard work.

On technical writting I was lucky enough to get one 1,200 gaming article published 14 years ago. It was a great pride at that time because english is not my native language.

If you have a topic which impassions you, give the novel a try: it is (very) frustrating at the begining , but it but it becomes more fun as you acquire some sort of writting callus.

* fracking - hydraulic fracturing.

+ Reply to Thread