View Poll Results: What is the correct "use of weapons"?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use robots only for surveilance / intelligence.

2 22.22%
  • We should make use of all weapons available (unrestricted use)

2 22.22%
  • Robots and Human battles should be kept separated

0 0%
  • We should exclude Humans from battles ( let the robots decide who wins ).

5 55.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Drones and warfare : The correct use of weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by charismatic megafauna View Post
    Can it blow something up or kill it?
    any combat drone can blow up something and kill it - getting it to kill the right thing [i.e the enemy] autonomously, now that's the tricky bit...

I wonder how many Predator and Reaper drones [human operated] have killed someone, or something that actually posed a threat

10%?

2%?

0.1% ? - who knows?

I doubt we, the people who pay for them, will ever find out...

"let the robots decide who wins": Although I picked this option, but I'm not sure what this means. I assume it means countries with robot tech will replace human soldiers with robots, but I think there will be cases where robot soldiers will be up against human soldiers from less advanced countries.

BTW, there are some interesting thoughts about this in a recent SF novel Kill Decision by Daniel Suarez.

I found this video , it's as thrilling as disquieting.

Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

The 'right' target for any drone depends upon who uses it and that I'm sure is subjective. From a moral point of view a machine programmed to kill without human orders is unethical.
    Drink, but very carefully...

While this might verge on semantics, isn't a machine that is programmed to kill already the result of, ethical or unethical, human orders? Or are you talking a redundant system, that requires it ask before every attack. And what about self defense, when it might not have time to ask for and receive kill verification. Talk about a can of worms. Glad our present drone systems aren't that capable yet.

They should have stuck with Asimovs 3 laws
    "Just have fun"

While this might verge on semantics, isn't a machine that is programmed to kill already the result of, ethical or unethical, human orders? Or are you talking a redundant system, that requires it ask before every attack. And what about self defense, when it might not have time to ask for and receive kill verification.
    Guns are legally and ethically manufactured for profit so are landmines and missiles, when these weapons are used by customers of manufacturers the manufacturers themselves aren't liable for war crimes. Programming is a part of manufacture, if an automonous drone commits an action which later on is classified as a war crime we can't have a situation where the legal position is so blurred that only the machine ends up getting the blame. That's why it's important to get a clear legal definition of any device with an in-built capability to make it's own decisions, in my view that would have to be unethical.

Talk about a can of worms. Glad our present drone systems aren't that capable yet.
    Not yet but they will be...
    Last edited by Conscious Bob; 21-02-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Cleaned up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Black View Post
    They should have stuck with Asimovs 3 laws
    Ah , yes , I like that idea. Then they would probably limit themselves mostly to drone / robot whacking.
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious Bob View Post
    Programming is a part of manufacture, if an automonous drone commits an action which later on is classified as a war crime we can't have a situation where the legal position is so blurred that only the machine ends up getting the blame.
    presumably the buyer of the autonomous drone can change the parameters of the drones detection/reaction software, and its armament

or is it going to say when Dave bolts a VX dispenser or a thermonuke in the bombbay?

I think the techies would get the blame, when someone further up the chain of command should be before the War Crimes Tribunal
    Last edited by von hitchofen; 21-02-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by von hitchofen View Post
    presumably the buyer of the autonomous drone can change the parameters of the drones detection/reaction software, and its armament
    Handy, from a menu maybe? Choose from an international range of army personnel!

+ Reply to Thread