+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spam Attack

Post Spam Attack

Hi all,

We've had a serious spam attack over the last four or so days with round 250+ new registrants to the forum. Sadly, these are not all well-meaning Iain Banks fans, but bots trying to push their horrid little agendas. The queue is now clear, but I wanted to bring this up in case:
    a) you find you have been caught up in the purge and your account was incorrectly rejected (if this has happened, re-register and feel free to contact me directly to ensure you're approved)
    b) there is any disruption to the forum in the next few days as I try to tighten anti-spam measures

If you own a forum and are aware of any particular tricks or tips to stop these registrants (who made it past our Iain Banks trivia and Captcha software), feel free to let me know. As far as I'm aware this is a vBulletin-wide attack.

Thanks!

Right, I've updated the software that moderates users, which will make it a lot stricter. If this turns out to be a massive issue for new registrants I'll revisit, so please do use the contact form to get in touch if you find you can't register and should be able to.

Can you please put a direct link for that "contact forum" in this thread too (I can't see one anywhere)
    "Just have fun"

Ahhh, is it this from the bottom of the page:
    http://www.iainbanksforum.net/sendmessage.php
    "Just have fun"

We had an attack in that same time frame, pretty heavy but the walls held.

What to do? I dunno, I do the second line of defense, usual stuff, stop spam, ip lookup, google name(sometimes deconstruct), eternal vigilance. I whack about ten a day on average.

+ Reply to Thread