+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Two Versions of "The Hydrogen Sonata"?!

I'm curious about this version, too.

I have the regular UK hardcover and the aforementioned "Signed Edition". They are essentially the same book, except that the SE is signed (duh), and on the back of its dust cover it has a little sticker which covers the ISBN of the regular edition, replacing it with the ISBN of the SE. So no extras here.

There's a kindle edition? Amazon US won't admit it exists.
    "No, I like my lot as well as any other."

The UK hardback edition which I finally managed to extract from the care of our postal workers' union yesterday at Carrasco airport has the interview at the back as well as a couple of pages listing the participants both biological and AI. It came from Waterstones in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by loei View Post
    The UK hardback edition which I finally managed to extract from the care of our postal workers' union yesterday at Carrasco airport has the interview at the back as well as a couple of pages listing the participants both biological and AI. It came from Waterstones in the UK.
    Ah ha, we have a confirmed 2nd sighting
    Anyone here in the UK bought from Waterstones?
    Could it be UK edition for export?

I'd like to have a copy of the glossary stuff. Any chance of a scan?
    "Just have fun"

Quote Originally Posted by loei View Post
    Interesting, I want this. Could you give us the ISBN number of your copy? The number that Waterstones lists on their website is the one of the regular version without appendix.

For anyone who has it, what's the Appendix like?

Dang. I ended up with two copies, one from Amazon US and one from the UK. Neither one has the index nor the intreview. (I forgot I pre-ordered from Amazon.) I tend to prefer the UK versions, though not only to spite the words "Not for sale in the USA."

At least having both I was able to give a copy to a novelist friend. (And former religion editor for Hustler Magazine. Yes, you read that right!) I'll be interested to see what he thinks.
    Last edited by ewelch; 14-10-2012 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Typo

religion editor for Hustler Magazine
    There's something I never though I'd read

For anyone who has it, what's the Appendix like?
    I assume it'd be like the one in Matter?
    "Just have fun"

So I went to Waterstone's in Cambridge today and got another copy. The interview is 10 and a half pages or so, but does not say who conducted it or when. The other extra is a five and a half page list of names split into individuals, ships, orbitals, stars/systems and species. This edition has 536 pages, but other than the extra pages appears to be no different to the other editions. I could find no indication on the copyright page that it was a special edition. In the shop there was no indication that they knew they had anything different, and there was a display of Simon Garfield's, On the Map, which did mention a Waterstone's exclusive edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Black View Post
    I'd like to have a copy of the glossary stuff. Any chance of a scan?
    Being a 3rd world farmer, I lack a scanning device... but my friend Veronica has one which I bought for her when I was overseas last July. I'll go and have a borrow of it sometime this week.

+ Reply to Thread