+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Two Versions of "The Hydrogen Sonata"?!

Default Two Versions of "The Hydrogen Sonata"?!

What crap are Orbit trying to pull? Why are there two versions of hardback publication of The Hydrogen Sonata?! One version has a detailed appendix (similar to Matter's) and even an interview of TMH but I, knowing my luck, purchased a hardback with fuck all at the back!
    'Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

Sorry to hear that. Are both from Orbital UK? Where did you buy your copy?

Mine has no appendix or interview, where have you seen one that has? I know the US one has a different cover, maybe that has the other stuff in too???
    "Just have fun"

So there is the standard UK hardcover, the limited cover with gold lettering from WHSmith, and amazon UK has a "Signed Edition" for sale at 17.00.

Then there is the US hardcover with different jacket.

Both the US and standard UK editions are given as having 528 pages on amazon UK/US.

Edit: The Kindle also doesn't have an appendix.
    Last edited by Av Demeisen; 05-10-2012 at 07:31 PM.

My US hardcover edition has no appendix or interview.

Mine doesn't have either appendix or interview.
    So there's a special edition then
    I want to be Cultured

be glad you aren't pratchett fans, thanks to the assorted bookstore special editions I belive there are now seven, count 'em Seven versions of the latest book, Dodger....
    Alan

I checked out the Smiths version earlier today... as far as I can tell the text is identical (certainly nothing extra at the beginning and the end), just gold lettering and a garish purple background on the interior flaps of the dust jacket (may be the cover too was more purple than blue)

I've been deprived of the Hydrogen Sonata by the useless tosspots at our international mail sorting office who have been refusing to release incoming mail for several months now. However, today I heard that my pitiful whines and pleas have been heard by the strikers and as a special favour to this poor old bloke, they are going to allow me to visit the airport and collect my copy in person tomorrow. They obviously understood my claim that to me, life without Culture is meaningless :-)

Well that's nice of them eh?

As for the Smiths one (I have that) & yes appart from some colouring (which I've not seen much as I always take the dust jacket off to read) there seems no difference to the standard one.

I'll ask again as all this discussion stems from an unanswered question... Mr Orange where have you seen this edition with an appendix?
    "Just have fun"

+ Reply to Thread