+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Art

I think the O is millions of miles in diametre, and the hub is a small facility at the barycentre. from this distance you probably wouldnt be able to see Africa let alone the hub. but hey its art we can do what ever we like, thats the beuaty of it.

Id like to see Tier, i think that would be a fun one.

Yeah I think the ring would be a lot more slender and the hub would be quite small, also fields would keep it in place. The largest GSVs don't even have outer hulls or structures joining different sections so I'm not sure the usual rules of stability apply to the culture lol
    Opinions stated like FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew j Short View Post
    Yeah I think the ring would be a lot more slender and the hub would be quite small, also fields would keep it in place. The largest GSVs don't even have outer hulls or structures joining different sections so I'm not sure the usual rules of stability apply to the culture lol
    I've just read from wikipedia the description of an orbital :
    Diameter = 1,000,000 kilometers.
    Walls = Thousands of kilometers high ( I'd say at least two thousand at least )
    Width = 35,000 (Vavatch)
    No mention on the size of the Hub .
    The orbital I draw could be under construction ( with a diameter of 150,000 km ).
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

It was my understanding that standard orbitals were made from scratch with the same distance and rotation away from the rotational center as a finished orbital, with plates floating around the hub held in place by fields. The rotation needed to be fast enough and big enough the maintain standard gravity and a standard culture day. I read on the wiki that a standard was 3,000,000 km by 150,000 which would look like this.

Opinions stated like FACT

i vaguely remember doing some sums when building this; it roughly agrees with the above.
    more of a rubber band than a wedding ring.

low res sketch of ROU being built in GSV mainbay, see what you think

http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...8&d=1361596716

Last edited by Availability May Vary; 23-02-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Very cool sketch.
    What tools did you use? If you mind sharing.
    Last edited by adelatorre; 23-02-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

2nd pics nice, I'm not getting much from the 1st, is that just to get the colour scheme?
    "Just have fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Black View Post
    2nd pics nice, I'm not getting much from the 1st, is that just to get the colour scheme?
    The first one looks your classic speedpaint value study where you sketch out your volumes and select your colour scheme, the second one is a later WIP working big to small but loose generating happy accidents. In Photoshop most likely. Environment artists and animators, it's all go round here at the moment.
    Drink, but very carefully...

Bob is exactly right on all points.
    Now if I had some more free time Id go back and redo it from scratch, pushing the composition more, as its all a bit weird and wrong at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread