+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The last great non-M you read?

Default The last great non-M you read?

Having been disappointed by the way Stonemouth turned out, I've been thinking: what was the last really great non-M that I've read?

It's probably Whit.

There's been flashes of greatness since (parts of A Song Of Stone and The Business) but the rest have felt like contractual filler to me.

Your thought?

Yep agreed, Whit for me too, Transition was better than anything else since then
    "Just have fun"

I liked Transition and The Business, but Whit was yeah, whatever for me...

Stonemouth for me is just another step on the Whit/Song of Stone/Dead Air/Garbadale continuum

you read it and think - what has this book been written for?
    Last edited by von hitchofen; 11-06-2012 at 02:08 AM.

I really liked Transition but couldn't help feeling it had been sent to the wrong publisher and should have been an M book.
    The Business was probably the last one, although I did enjoy Dead Air, maybe I should re-read it again soon and see if that still holds true as I remember thinking at the time it could age badly.

I'm going to say A Song of Stone - unusually, I quite like it (or at least what it tries to do). Beyond then, I've been left with a feeling of disappointment with everything with the exception of Transition.

The Business is next on my programme of re-reading the non-Ms, so my opinion could change, of course!

I would say Song of Stone / The Business. They're both flawed, but at least they're trying to do something - inject a bit of colour on the palette - rather the rather beigey-ness of Stonemouth.
    Lurker at the threshold

A Song of Stone is perfect literature. Or as close as one can get. Every word has been measured carefully. Re-read and re-read again. It's a thing of beauty- I'm genuinely shocked there aren't more fans of this.

Quote Originally Posted by GINANDTONIC View Post
    I'm genuinely shocked there aren't more fans of this.
    *Holds hands up*
    Me! Me!! I think it's one of his best. Haunting, poetic and unsettling. About time for a re-read too.

I'm just over half way through my collection of Iain Banks novels [ currently reading ' The Quarry ' ] - I began with ' Complicity ' and curiously [ it's the order I bought them ] have been working my way downwards ever since chronologically , in other words I've yet to read ' The Wasp Factory ', ' Walking On Glass ' , ' The Bridge ' etc - anyway , thus far it has been ' Transition ' that I enjoyed the most , though I do take on board it could have been classified as an ' M ' as far as its subject matter goes .

Quote Originally Posted by GINANDTONIC View Post
    A Song of Stone is perfect literature. Or as close as one can get. Every word has been measured carefully. Re-read and re-read again. It's a thing of beauty- I'm genuinely shocked there aren't more fans of this.
    Years ago I used to belong to one of those Book Clubs whereby you received the Editor's Choice if you failed to tick a box or something - ' Song Of Stone ' was one of those books - I had read an Iain Banks book previously but wouldn't say I was au fait with the author at all - anyway , I read it and found it a bit depressing or sad [ it was a long time ago ] - so on your recommendation I shall re-read it .

+ Reply to Thread