+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stonemouth question

#%{*^%ing iPad can't read whiteout spoilers, gotta wait til I get back home!!
    "No, I like my lot as well as any other."

iPad eh? Who'd have tha backwards technology
    "Just have fun"

Removed from the review thread and posted here instead.

Like Death by Water I'd been thinking over Grier's role in the story because she struck me as being unlike any other Banks character. She shares characteristics with Mrs Mulverhill in Transition but remains genuinely motiveless, I found it strange that a key character in a non M wouldn't have a big reveal in relation to the plot but now I think I appreciate what Iain was doing, Grier's role wasn't to fulfill expectations it was to subvert them.

The confirmation is on pages 329 - 330, Stewart having pressed Grier for a motive gets four plausible answers from her, any of which would've made sense, in other words it's just not that kind of intricate big reveal style of book, it's something else, something new and less formulaic, the hidden part of the book is just not that important.

Grier's eventual punishment was to miss her Caribbean photo shoot, which given the written fates of Iain's other Machiavellian characters seems pretty light...
    Drink, but very carefully...

Quote Originally Posted by Solipsist Mercenary View Post
    #%{*^%ing iPad can't read whiteout spoilers, gotta wait til I get back home!!
    Copy and paste the text in Notes, then you'll be able to read it. that's what i did.

*I* have a question about Stonemouth.

Where is it actually based, somewhere up near Aberdeen. Stonemouth, i'm pretty certain is a fictional place, but it's going to be based after somewhere, no?

It's meant to be an east coast town quite close to Aberdeen, I think it's actually Stonehaven

It would need a bigger harbour though.
    Last edited by Conscious Bob; 30-09-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Drink, but very carefully...

+ Reply to Thread