+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Culture on Facebook

Default Culture on Facebook

Hi forum,

I know I've been very quiet lately, and I'm glad you are all enjoying yourselves here (thanks to those who have kept it ticking along, you are my heroes). So, as you know, there's going to be a new book later in the year from Iain M Banks – The Hydrogen Sonata – and I can see from the other thread that the speculation and excitement is building up already.

Partly to celebrate that, and also partly to spread the Culture love across the internet, we (Iain's publishers) are going to be setting up a dedicated Culture Facebook page for fans and readers. And we were wondering what sort of stuff you (the fans and readers) would like to see on it.

Those of you who use Facebook regularly will know it’s an unwieldy and changeable beast, so I can’t promise everything you suggest will be up there. But if you have any ideas - particular subjects you’d like to explore on there, handy resources that you know of - let us know and we’ll do our best to get it included.

Happy reading!

Iain’s publishers.

PS. There’s an Iain Banks (author) Facebook fan page that hasn’t been updated in a while. Does anyone know who owns that page? We’d love to track them down so we can help keep it up to date as well.

Hi & thanks for the heads up

I don't mean to speak out of turn here but my initial though is - "NNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooo".

Please allow me to explain a little.

I'm not a facebook user myself, I know that's rather behind the times now, but I'm just not a fan of it.
    That said I'm aware that that's the way the wind is ablowing nowadays & we can't stand in the way of progress.
    It is admittedly a good source of information but it has the tendency to kill off the little guys - like this very forum.

I have been members of other author forums & once the facebook page is up & running the people off the forum drift away, few new people sign up, it goes quiet, people loose interest & it's forgotten about.

The conversations, discussions & "chat", just don't seem to be there on the face book.

Still maybe it's just me If it does go ahead (& I expect it will) I'll happily make suggestions to make it as good as possible...
    "Just have fun"

Recipes for Nixon burgers :-)
    Lists of ship names?

HS is due out in October (according to TMH at book reading), so I'm sure there's time for better qualified people to come up with serous suggestions. I'm afraid I don't use facebook you see, ut am in favour of whatever spreads the IMB utopianist love.
    What's normally on facebook?
    I want to be Cultured

Facebook, as Deep Black suggested has the ability to really stave off any actual discussions in regards to IMB's works. The marketing prowess that Facebook offers would prove beneficial to the interest in the latest Culture novel - again though, beyond that, it really would not build upon any solid discussions. I would happily offer some suggestions, but strongly believe that individual forums such as this hold more weight with the readers than a cut and dry corporate application such as Facebook.
    Is this truly necessary?

Does anybody above the age of 30 use or visit Facebook?

I think the title of this thread may be an oxymoron.

I'm not a heavy Facebook user, but it does occur to me that if Banks were willing to do a Google Plus hangout around the time of new book releases, it would be a relatively simple way for him to engage directly with a large part of his fan base.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 18-04-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Black View Post
    I'm not a facebook user myself, I know that's rather behind the times now, but I'm just not a fan of it.
    That said I'm aware that that's the way the wind is ablowing nowadays & we can't stand in the way of progress.
    It is admittedly a good source of information but it has the tendency to kill off the little guys - like this very forum.
    I'm a facebook refusenik too, can't stand the wretched site

I will stay here on the forum, for as long as there's a forum to stay on [or I'm banned ]
    "In the Culture, death is not compulsory" - Iain M. Banks

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    if Banks were willing to do a Google Plus hangout around the time of new book releases, it would a relatively simple way for him to engage directly with a large part of his fan base.
    That is an inspired idea
    I want to be Cultured

That all makes sense. We were thinking of the Facebook page as another entry point into the world of Iain M Banks for those who aren't on the forum but are on Facebook. I think Deep Black's right that there's not as much of an interface for discussion on Facebook itself, and it is in no way a replacement for this forum at all - it'd act as a signpost, we hope, to the bigger discussions that go on here, and hold extra information about The Culture. Sort of like a starter kit.

Anyway, I'll leave this here for a week to give people a chance to respond if they wish, and then move it to admin announcements (so people don't see me bleating about Facebook as soon as they hit the forum and get diverted).

A Google+ Hangout is a great idea.

Hey Forum Admin

Thanks for your post. Unusual for (some) publishers to actually speak to fans and ask for our thoughts! Thanks!

I think that's a great idea. I know loads of people complain about Facebook, but I use it quite a lot and so do my friends, despite my and their complaints. Relating to someone like an author, I use it for news and events information, rather than discussion, which is something a forum is more suited to. Would be cool if you could use the Facebook page to share Iain M. Banks related news, and related events. That kind of stuff is sometimes quite rare, and really easy to miss, resulting in missing it out on the few things that happen. Would be cool to gather together all of his related content, like videos, interviews, articles etc, although, i think you do that on his site, which is a fine place to do it too.

And to set the matter straight, just in case anyone was still wondering, I'm 34, so that is evidence that people over 30 do use Facebook.

One thing that I would find quite helpful, although not sure if the author website is a better place for it than Facebook, is a glossary. In the recent book, I got a bit lost a couple of times with all the ship/hub mind and Contact division names. Would be good if you could do a non-spoiler causing glossary, that you could use to look up who the hell some of the characters/institutions are.

Good luck with building the page in Facebook. I'm sure it will be hell using their developer tools!

+ Reply to Thread