+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Iain Banks at Waterstone's Nottingham, 19:00 Thursday 26 April 2012

I limit myself to two books each time, but then again I might see him three or four times a year. Last month in Cambridge it was the Stonemouth hardback and the Finnish edition of The Wasp Factory which Iain proudly showed the couple behind me the burning dog motif. I have seen Iain do at least a dozen books for one person at a convention.

I usually get the new book signed & also take no more than 3 old ones too.

Not just with Banks but with other authors too, they sometimes like to see old editions esp if they have covers that have been out of print for a while. Old 1st ed hard backs often go down well too & sometimes old proofs.

Robert Rankin is especially happy to sign loads of old books, I've seen him sign 20 old paper backs as happily as 1 copy of his latest & he has a pretty elaborate signature too
    "Just have fun"

I think I need to add an extra field to my database as I don't record separately if a book is signed or not, although there are notes to that effect in the column that holds the condition rating for editions I have copies of. It seems that I have just over thirty signed Banks books, of which 11 are different editions of The Wasp Factory.

It was the first time I'd actually managed to make it to a signing although I'd got a copy of Raw Spirit that a friend got signed for me as a present, and when I was out the country I made my dad go and get the Hardback of Look to Windward for my B'day and get it signed.
    If I manage to make it to another signing I'll definately take 1 or 2 older copies as well now I know the score. I did see a few people with 5 or 6 get signed, including a few of the free copies of Player of Games, although if I'd been at the back of the queue rather than a 3rd of the way in I might have been less happy about those people getting multiple copies signed!

This guys eeeverywhere at the moment, he have a new book out or something?

I'll get my coat.
    I want to be Cultured

Rollocks. Totally forgot about this. I could have got him to sign the copy I've just loaned from the library...

& take it back defaced?
    "Just have fun"

I think the phrase you want is 'added value'. The library could sell it as a signed edition and use the proceeds to buy more copies :-)

Mr. Banks was here in St Andrews the other day (although it's not up in the appearances forum) to read a chapter from Stonemouth and answer questions. Only about 30 people there so it was really intimate, got my first book signed!

I asked him if he was planning another sci-fi outside of the Culture universe and he said at some point, yes.

+ Reply to Thread