+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How convincing do female readers find Iain Banks's female characters?

I do. In fact, the person i mentioned, i.e. the one with the stubble, is currently in the same town as you seem to be.

I'll look out for her...
    "Just have fun"

Quote Originally Posted by nineteenthly View Post
    It's OK if you don't get hung up on which gender you want your partner to fit into. And i wonder now who you are, understanding the low probability that you are in fact my old housemate, because i did exactly that - married a woman with a bit of a stubble issue to whom i got engaged after dating for seven weeks.
    Don't worry I'm stalking just stalking you
    I want to be Cultured

As a female, I find Bank's women to be well done. They aren't all tits and arse, they manage for themselves quite well, and rarely becomes an issue of "Oh, save me!"
    As for the stubble issue, do you think women with excessive facial hair choose it? We get born with it just like you guys do, except that we are considered unfeminine if we don't have an electrical charge blasted through the follicles. That process is painful, time consuming and expensive. I really don't understand the hate against body hair in general that's grown in the last few years.
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too damn dark to read!

I've read The Business and I'm not sure that she came across as truly feminine , I'm not sure she's meant to be I suppose , especially the line of work she's in , a world filled mostly by men , but what do I know , I'm a bloke , an old bearded one at that .
    Iris Murdoch was very good at writing her male characters , they always came across as very realistic , but that doesn't answer the question .

Iain Banks' women are usually the strong independent type , good jobs , self reliant and confident . Well , the ones from ' Dead Air ' , ' The Crow Road ' and ' Espedair Street ' are

+ Reply to Thread