+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Walking Walking on Glass

Default Walking Walking on Glass

28th June is "Graham Park Day" - the day (in 1983) when Graham walks to Half Moon Crescent in Walking on Glass. There is a Google map of the locations mentioned in the book at http://tinyurl.com/6zde383 if anyone wants some help to do the walk.

Excellent, did you make the map Dave?
    "Just have fun"

Yep, that was one of mine from the project that was started at the old place. I also did one for Espedair Street. Haddonsman did The Steep Approach to Garbadale and maybe some others.

I have done the Walking on Glass walk twice. Cannot make it on the day this year, but was thinking of organising an after work event for next year if people are interested.

The Espedair Street and my London and Cambridge Hitchhiker's maps can be found via http://www.google.co.uk/maps/user?ui...3008410&ptab=2

When I read Walking on Glass the first time I was working in an office (on Mount Pleasant) close to the route, so I didn't find it hard to visualise the route, though I never took the trouble actually to walk it. This part of Clerkenwell - close to the River Fleet - also features (though many of the modern streets didn't exist in the 17th century as the river was at that time on the surface) in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy (and in various bits of Dickens, of course).
    Last edited by RobD; 27-06-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Why don't you go away and read some books?

Good job. Well done. I'll tke the map with me next time I'm in London
    I want to be Cultured

So today is the next year mentioned above, but I cannot make it into London tonight. Maybe 2014 when it is a Saturday. Anybody interested?

Also, the URL above does not seem to work so try: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...m&z=13&vpsrc=1

Sounds like one to organise as a walk for Banks fans in 2 years?
    A little fan meet maybe?
    "Just have fun"

Anyone up to do the walk this year? How about Saturday 29th June?

Will have to check the diary...
    "Just have fun"

After the Art School to Half Moon Crescent walk, we carry on over to Liverpool Road like Graham does although the route is not specified. From there we can cut down to Upper Street and see where Iain lived when he wrote The Wasp Factory, and then have a drink at the Camden Head where Graham and Sara sometimes met.

+ Reply to Thread