+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Matter

Quote Originally Posted by FearfulSymmetry View Post
    Finally got around to writing a review of Matter:
    Good one, I liked the multi-layered analogy. Not too sure about the shift from fantasy to sci-fi and back again point as there isn't any magic as such. I suppose you could have meant fantasy style?
    Drink, but very carefully...

With the Dragon type things etc...
    "Just have fun"

SF Revu have reposted John Berlyne's review to tie in with the paperback release.

Review from Gwyneth Jones at Strange Horizons

Quote Originally Posted by edash View Post
    Review from Gwyneth Jones at Strange Horizons
    Some interesting thoughts in this one, although at points I'm not sure how thoroughly she actually read the book (or maybe it is just my own memory failing?):
    • "...the female-ordered Morthanveld..." Confusing the Nariscene and Morthanveld here?
    • "...a human Developing Nation called the Sarl/Deldeyn. These two warring sects..." Why 'sects'? More like two nations.(?)
    • "Shellworlds (...) are generally considered harmless." The 'Slaughterworlds'? Ok, maybe now that people know how to defuse them.
    • "...the Intelligent Drone Turminder Xuss, lightly disguised as a knife-missile." ... which is then more heavily disguised as a sex toy.
    • "The hegemony of an allegedly benign superpower will continue,..." There are superpowers, but none of them has a hegemony.
    • "We can shake our heads over the cruel cost, but the Powers that Be are always right, and the unquestioned benefits of “anarchist-utopia” (did someone mutter democracy?) shall always prevail." Did I read a different book?

Most of it just details, but it makes me wonder about the conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Coral Beach View Post
    the Intelligent Drone Turminder Xuss, lightly disguised as a knife-missile."
    I wonder why a Drone would be disguised as a knife missile, a bit like disguising a bomb as a grenade.

Maybe she's not too familiar with the Culture canon, is that a pun?

If I remember rightly the drone was disguised as a knife missile to avoid the SC agent+drone= oh shiit and fan!!! view most civilizations that have any knowledge of The Culture seem to have.
    Whereas a knife missile is just back.
    The Culture wanted to avoid creating the right impression.
    I want to be Cultured

Har, forgot about that.

'Hey it's okay, it's just a knife missile relax'

I have just this moment finished reading the novel and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been wading through a few of Banks' SF recently – stuff I had been meaning to read for a while (Inversions, Excession and Transition).

I admit that the events in the first half of the book are somewhat "slow" in gearing up, but Banks does his usual awesome job and got me turning pages (and later flipping pdf's after having given the book back to the library) like a nutter. Loved the levels ideas surrounding the shell-world and the ladder-order of mentorship. The conkers are starting to fall off the chestnut trees here – each one reminding me of spiniform waterworlders. )

Welcome Soppdrake
    "Just have fun"

+ Reply to Thread