+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Crazy Plan That'll Never Work

Geography was never my strong point.
    I never had enough coloured pens
    I want to be Cultured

Hmmmmmm, you're asking to create a game that rather decently for a game emulates life's complexity. Someone will spend their lifetime trying to make it, but perhaps in a better day and age.
    In my opinion, there are waaay too many things I could put here. So for now, best thing to do is try to remember them all in your head

Back to the topic (some 3+ years later)

There are 4 sessions at this years Worldcon, dedicated to making a playable version of Azad:

http://guide.loncon3.org/#prog/query:azad
    "Just have fun"

I wish I had known about this.
    Oh ell, my own damn fault.
    I want to be Cultured

You not coming? Want me to suggest anything for you?
    "Just have fun"

I've volunteered to care for my brother then. He can no longer move or breathe without a machine, so became do anything for himself any more. The disease has really taken a toll.

At the moment alli can think of is 3dmaps/boards built of hexagons & using decks of cards to control piece evolution.
    I'll think adout it a bit more. Wish I could be there, but also prefer being where ill be.
    I want to be Cultured

Instead of cards AND pieces you could use hexaflexagons as the card/pieces to fit onto the hex grid. Just flex them into one of 6 possible forms.

Anyone fancy coming up with what Iain's characters might say about Azad:

In the 2nd session, they will specifically play and discuss games that might be a bit like Azad, the sprawling, civilsation changing game from Iain Banks' The Player of Games. Although the main game is described as taking place on three large boards, Azad is also played with cards, with tokens and with other smaller games. We've sourced a variety of games that might represent aspects of this, and do feel free to bring your own.

In addition, drop in and make your statement of ideology, with a twist. In the book, each player is expected, as part of the game, to submit a short description of their beliefs, ethics and morals. However, what if you were a member of The Culture, or one of the other races or characters mentioned in Banks' books? What might Diziet Sma write, or the ROU Shoot Them Later, or Sharrow (did we say they had to be from The Culture... ). Our drones have been working furiously to provide us with a list of everyone from The Culture, and we'd like statements from all of them, written, drawn or created by you. Come along and add your ideas!

Note: We will be running a series of sessions on Azad, with the intention of finally making and playing a version of the game itself, however all of these sessions are open to everyone and it is not necessary to attend all of the workshops in order to take part.
    "Just have fun"

So? How did it go?
    I want to be Cultured

It went pretty well. I didn't go to all the Azad sessions as I had other convention commitments. The last one where we played Azad I was wandering around keeping an eye on things and roping in passers-by to help in the game. As there were proper games designers and academics involved there may well be some more informed writeups coming along, but I will be writing up some notes for the next Banksoniain.

By the way, Steve Jackson (the US rather than the UK one) was at the convention and came and played Azad.

+ Reply to Thread