+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Crazy Plan That'll Never Work

Default The Crazy Plan That'll Never Work

OK, so TMH has scotched (haaaaaaaa!*) any notion of officially coming up with rules for Azad. But, if I/someone else/Batman were to throw up a wiki, would it be possible/sensible/sane for everyone else to? Does The Player of Games provide enough detail for anyone to come up with something that at least fits the spirit of the game?

*is funny 'cos he's Scotch and he scotched it...
    "There has seldom if ever a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots."

Azad, the most difficult, complex game in the known universe. Developed by millions of players over hundreds of years. A game that takes the best games-player in the Culture more than a year to learn. And you want to make up rules for it using the rather vague descriptions given in PoG. Now that's hubris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea Tractor View Post
    'cos he's Scotch and he scotched it
    Iain's a Scot, Scotch is a drink.

I suppose you could do a fair PC or video game that at least had the look.
    Last edited by Conscious Bob; 17-12-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: game thoughts
    Drink, but very carefully...

Quote Originally Posted by charismatic megafauna View Post
    Azad, the most difficult, complex game in the known universe. Developed by millions of players over hundreds of years. A game that takes the best games-player in the Culture more than a year to learn. And you want to make up rules for it using the rather vague descriptions given in PoG. Now that's hubris.
    Ah, you see, hubris would be saying that I could definitely do it, single-handedly. I'm asking "is it worth a punt?", to which you have answered "nay!". Also "could we at least make a start?" and "could we even get close", which presumably makes for a Trifecta of Nay.

Iain's a Scot, Scotch is a drink.
    Yeah, that was a reach. That said, I looked up why that was the wrong word and found a) something about it meaning "frugal with money", which I've never heard before, and b) a lengthy article about the 3M multinational conglomerate. So now I've learnt a) something about Scottish language/national determination/whatever it is I'm getting at and b) just how quickly the problem with Wikipedia can arise.
    Last edited by Chelsea Tractor; 17-12-2010 at 11:56 PM.
    "There has seldom if ever a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots."

Azad (the game) is intrinsically tied to Azad (the people and culture). Unless you can somehow delineate both these things, any attempt to create Azad (the game) can only result in a simplistic facsimile (checkers vs chess). If you are willing to settle for such a result, I suppose it's possible.

And there's a certain amount of hubris in just proposing such a task.

Didn't he dream up a world ruling game while hooked on civilization 3, a game that is based upon the board game civilization.
    Now, I'm into board games, of the Geek variety. I and a far far faaar more boardgamegeekier friend tried to compose a rule set for azad based upon Settlers of Civilization, Catan, Agricola, Domination and others.
    Using semi-random card draws to control how the pieces evolve, multiply tessellated 3D terrains, and rules for pieces strengths in regards to positions, etc, but before we were even close it became utterly unplayable complicated.
    I want to be Cultured

It's a crazy plan, it'll never work!
    Lurker at the threshold

non sequitur; wherever you go, there you are...

Quote Originally Posted by charismatic megafauna View Post
    Azad (the game) is intrinsically tied to Azad (the people and culture). Unless you can somehow delineate both these things, any attempt to create Azad (the game) can only result in a simplistic facsimile ....
    Well, there's the other possibility -- they actually pull it off, launch the greatest MMOG since Eve and in creating Azad (the game) give rise to Azad (the people and culture).

After all, one person's "Hubris" is just another one's "lack of ambition."

Quote Originally Posted by Only Verifiable Skill View Post
    Well, there's the other possibility -- they actually pull it off, launch the greatest MMOG since Eve and in creating Azad (the game) give rise to Azad (the people and culture).
    Why would you want to? Player of Games is a great book but there is precious little on Azad the game within it. If there is eventually some sort of Azad virtual tribute, it will mostly be the creation of someone else, unless Iain gets involved that is.
    Drink, but very carefully...

non sequitur; wherever you go, there you are...

Quote Originally Posted by conscious bob View Post
    why would you want to? ...
    i - r - o - n - y

+ Reply to Thread