+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marain Script, a CC-Licensed font based on Marain

Default Marain Script, a CC-Licensed font based on Marain

Hey everybody, I'm a newcomer to the Culture world. I got sucked in by the Marain alphabet, actually. I'm working on a game that called for an otherworldly font, so I made one based on some of the strokes and forms of the Marain characters. The twist is that they're drawn as if written by a brush pen.

You can see more about how the font was made in this video:

And download it from my blog:
    http://danielsolisblog.blogspot.com/...in-script.html

Hope you like it!

Great work! The music and the video were very nice too. I'd love to use it for my game, the brush-written touch makes what would otherwise be rather blocky (the Marain matrix) very pleasant to look at.

Thanks! That was the idea. I liked that Marain can be read in any orientation, but it definitely has a harshness to it. I tried to use as many naturally occurring brush strokes as possible so it felt hand-written, but sometimes that meant deviating from strictly Marain forms. Some line breaks appear in this font that would probably not be in actual Marain. I suspect this is just one of those natural offshoot alphabets a distant Culture colony would develop after losing contact with the main community for some time.

Amazing. I hadn't even realised that IMB had created a Marain alphabet till I just googled it! Your brush interpretation is superb. I've downloaded the font to try out. Thanks

PS Just in case anyone else tries - no, you can't copy/post on the forum in Marain because it's not a supported font.
    Last edited by Flashman; 29-09-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    Amazing. I hadn't even realised that IMB had created a Marain alphabet till I just googled it! Your brush interpretation is superb. I've downloaded the font to try out. Thanks

PS Just in case anyone else tries - no, you can't copy/post on the forum in Marain because it's not a supported font.
    oxx | xxx xxo xxo | xoo xox | oox xxx xxo
    oxx | oxx oox xxo | xxx xxo | xxx xoo xxx
    xoo | xxo xxx xox | xoo xxx | oxx oxo xxo

You can even do it in smoke trails...
    Lurker at the threshold

Great stuff
    "Just have fun"

Being a language that can be read from left to right, right to left, either up or down, seems pretty pragmatic for a space faring society when you get dozens of alien races who have minds that work differently.

Where did you get The Secret of Mana-esque soundtrack from?
    Last edited by Big Orange; 30-09-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    'Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

awesome you genius
    I want to be Cultured

I'm glad you guys like the font so much!

The music comes is by Yasunori Mitsuda from Xenogears OST, titled "Bonds Of Sea And Fire."

Regulars will be familiar with Fastness's Marain Font so I think Daniel's is a great variation of a theme. Nice work Daniel.
    Drink, but very carefully...

+ Reply to Thread