+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Are the Culture novels and Algebraist truely unconnected?

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    Does this mean you think there is a connection?

Hang on.. Is there something I've missed. Is there some Banksian sneakiness going on here. Is Sian B alluding to something interesting?
    No, there was an argument on the old forum where one member posited that The Algebraist was indeed a Culture novel and became exceedingly troll like when no one else would accept their theory that TA was set in a post Culture universe, rather than being an entirely separate construct.
    I think the reply was to a question someone asked for help with their homework.
    Who was it now? DNA??? Someone like that.
    I want to be Cultured

Yeh, AaDB and FE aren't explicitly set in a Culture universe and probably never will be (through retconning) but I like to think that there is a possibility. I don't really care if anyone agrees with me, or doesn't like the idea, but it would be nice if someone would say "You know, what you're saying is possible, but we'll never find out for sure". Or feel free to point out the flaws (that I can't see) in my theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Registered Here View Post
    Yeh, AaDB and FE aren't explicitly set in a Culture universe and probably never will be (through retconning) but I like to think that there is a possibility. I don't really care if anyone agrees with me, or doesn't like the idea, but it would be nice if someone would say "You know, what you're saying is possible, but we'll never find out for sure". Or feel free to point out the flaws (that I can't see) in my theory.
    I do know what you mean and totally agree. As the books are all written by the same author they're not truely unconnected anyway. As daveh said Iain does like to play games with us and that's part of the fun with these books. If there are ideas in the Algebraist or other that are possibly pertinent to the Culture books that's a connection. It doesn't matter to me if it doesn't fit in with a timeline or there's no literal evidence the book really takes place in the same Cultureverse. Mind you, great if you can prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Registered Here View Post
    Hello...

No Dwellers in the Culture universe, Voehn or any other Mercatoria exotic. Dwellers in particular are widespread and have vast lifespans. Any being likely to have encountered the Culture it would've been them.

Earth features in both the Culture and Mercatoria universes but the Culture and Mercatoria do not encounter each other, they are both vast civilisations. The fact that they both visit earth means at some point they must occupy the same region of space. Same region different stories.

FTL travel possible in Culture universe, no FTL possible without wormholes in Mercatoria universe.

That just about covers it.
    Drink, but very carefully...

What Bob said, but adding that Iain has said TA, FE and AADB are not Culture books. He likes to do non Culture books once in a while to prove to himself he can. He calls it professional pride or showing off, sometimes in the same sentence.

And he's confessed to being "very defensive" of his non Culture novels.

Forget other novels being Culture or not, I just The Culture was real...
    I want to be Cultured

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious Bob View Post
    Hello...

No Dwellers in the Culture universe, Voehn or any other Mercatoria exotic. Dwellers in particular are widespread and have vast lifespans. Any being likely to have encountered the Culture it would've been them.

Earth features in both the Culture and Mercatoria universes but the Culture and Mercatoria do not encounter each other, they are both vast civilisations. The fact that they both visit earth means at some point they must occupy the same region of space. Same region different stories.

FTL travel possible in Culture universe, no FTL possible without wormholes in Mercatoria universe.

That just about covers it.
    Bear in mind that all of what you've said is relevant to the Algebraist. I only mentioned Against a Dark Background and Feersum Endjinn. In my previous post I agreed that it's impossible that the Algebraist could exist within the Cultureverse, but here I state there is a vague possibility that the other two books do. Whether we'll be told if they do or not, I extremely doubt it.

I really don't understand the desire some have for putting non Culture work into the Cultureverse. Does it really make that much difference to your enjoyment or understanding of the stories?

It's human nature to draw connections between things. If the "connection" between two things is ambiguous, people like to pretend there is one there, it's just not particularly straightforward. It's a comfort thing. The more connections there are between things, the less insignificant everything is, and by extension, the less insignificant each person is.

When I asked TMH about the 'urban myth' that there's a line in AaDB that links it to the Culture he said that if there is, it isn't one of his lines.
    Lurker at the threshold

+ Reply to Thread