+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forum-related Spam Issues? PLEASE READ

Exclamation Forum-related Spam Issues? PLEASE READ

Very sorry folks, but we've been having a spot of bother with a few new, pre-moderated accounts sending spam PMs to regular members of the forum,

I've tracked down a couple of rogue variables in the forum usergroup settings that were allowing pre-moderated members to send PMs and have switched those off. So from now on (Feb 9th 2010) no-one should be able to send a PM until they've been approved by the site admin. All new accounts are manually checked and their details run through a database of known forum spammer, and anything even vaguely suspicious-looking is deleted.

Inevitably though, some particularly devious and / or persistent spammers will get through, or you'll just get someone who thinks they've hit on a good opportunity to persuade you around to their worldview and won't take no for an answer...

So if you ever receive anything untoward or unwelcome from another forum member, you should always feel free to report the PM or post, or simply get in touch via forumadmin [at] iainbanksforum.net and let me know. I'll deal with it as soon as possibly can, UK office hours and an extremely full schedule allowing.

Darren T
    Little, Brown uK
    Forum Admin

Thanks Darren!
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too damn dark to read!

Oh, I just deleted two PMs which were obvious scam/spam mails. Thanks for the tightening of the rules.
    Lurker at the threshold

Hi RedKing - Can you let me know if those PMs were sent more recently than 9th Feb? If so then the counter-measures might not have been effective...

I think they were before the 9th, which gave them away as false as I hadn't been on the forums recently to have my "PC Scanned".
    Lurker at the threshold

+ Reply to Thread