+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: A Gift from the Culture The First Culture Movie!?

Empire managed to have a chat with TMH on this:
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=26180

Thanks

I'm reassured a bit by IMB's comments, though I'd be more confident about this project if he were brought into it in some, not completely marginal, capacity. Still, why didn't they make the obvious choice of "State of the Art" if they want to make a real Culture movie? Unless the plan is to completely rewrite "A Gift from the Culture" (which is just a simple terrorist assassination story), one will get no real picture of the complexity of the Culture other than it has cool weapons. Oh well, we can only hope for the best.

It must surely be re-written & expanded.

Nice interview find there Bascule
    "Just have fun"

Based on.
    Drink, but very carefully...

We could get something amazing or we can get something shit, but it kinda of bodes well when Banks got on well with the writer/producer, and "A Gift from the Culture" truncated as it is in The Player of Games still has legs like the short PKD story made into the awsome Total Recall. And a small hand pistol taking out a huge warship over a city is big stuff right there.
    'Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

The Sunday Times has a short piece online at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6907874.ece
    which brings together much of the information so far and adds "The movie will have a budget of about 13m and is expected to begin shooting in South Africa next year".

I expect they still need to raise the thirteen million in the meantime.

I'll bung them a quid
    "Just have fun"

Movies are usually not as good as the books they are based on, but even if they dumb it down for the movie goers and it's a hit it will grow the Iain M. Banks readers. If they stay true to the story it may not be a huge hit but I think that the true Banks fans will be happy with it, so I think over all it could be win win for Banks. If it makes it to the big screen I know I'll go see it.

Cool

meh, this movie in my opinion will never work out. The Culture universe is, well, , , too diverse to be fully captured in a movie, unless the director has a few billion for production. Though with smart directing and a good cast the movie has great potential.
    In my opinion, there are waaay too many things I could put here. So for now, best thing to do is try to remember them all in your head

+ Reply to Thread