+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Least Fave.

Quote Originally Posted by 198505 View Post
    Worst would have to be Song of Stome, never did finish it.
    Such a shame ! You have to do so sometime.
    "One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit. Everyone knows this." (H.G. Frankfurt, 'On Bullshit')

No surprises from me, Dead Air and Garbadale are the two obvious stinkers; and can I add Raw Spirit? Banksy driving around in a series of flash cars, ranting at the world like a left-wing Jeremy Clarkson...

I probably wouldn't have liked Raw Spirit if it weren't for the Distillery angle, as a big Whisky fan
    "Just have fun"

Me too, which was the main reason for my disappointment! It should have been great - one of my favourite authors, travelling one of my favourite countries, sampling one of my favourite indulgences. But I found it self-indulgent and boring, frankly.

my least favourites would have to be "A Song of Stone" [Mr Banks "I've suffered for my art, now its your turn" type book], "Dead Air" [pretty thin stuff], and Canal Dream [read it, finished it can't remember a damn thing about it]

but I did like "The Business", it's pleasingly shallow

I thought RS was a great Road trip. I'm not a fan of distilleries or whisky, but just enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the book, and I've driven along many of the roads described.
    Life is good when you're happy.
    www.jaglives.weebly.com

I've just read Song of Stone for the second time. A friend told me that he thought it was one of the best of IB's books so I thought I must have missed something first time round. I have tended to enjoy some of his other books the second time round even when I didn't much like them first go (e.g. The Wasp Factory and Walking on Glass). But no, Song of Stone I found just as uninsipring the second time. As someone else remarked, maybe it was something that IB had to get off his chest before he, I'm glad to say, moved on.

One of the book's few redeeming features is the author's habit of dropping in what look to me suspiciously like chunks of poetry written as prose, For example:

"From these brave battlements with a chosen bird of prey I used to fly my spirit free. From this quarried perch, I as much as the quarry they seized was gripped by them, and through those sleek carnivores, swift death's craftsmen, I felt that I partook of their airborne, slicing skill, and saw, in that stooping instant of mortality, a kind of ephemeral persistence."
    Why don't you go away and read some books?

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    "From these brave battlements with a chosen bird of prey I used to fly my spirit free. From this quarried perch, I as much as the quarry they seized was gripped by them, and through those sleek carnivores, swift death's craftsmen, I felt that I partook of their airborne, slicing skill, and saw, in that stooping instant of mortality, a kind of ephemeral persistence."
    In a Chris Eubank accent.
    Drink, but very carefully...

I'd read Complicity and Song of Stone years ago , and since the passing of Ian , I've bought all of of the non ' m ' ones , even the expensive ' The Bridge ' [ I only buy hardbacks ] . I'm not a fan of sci-fi but I'm making an exception with Ian's works and have started collecting those as well , though I won't be able to afford one or two of them .
    I'm in a bit more of an envious position than most as I haven't read all of Ian's novels , so I'm not in a position to state my least favourite of his books , though Song of Stone wasn't the happiest of tales .

Welcome Skyehammer

Only buying hard backs eh? Hardcore

Have you read any of the "M"s yet?
    "Just have fun"

+ Reply to Thread