+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Transition

And another one for Transition in the TLS
    http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6855138.ece

Link dunee wark
    "Just have fun"

Default Transition...wish I had before buying!

Having purchased all Ian's books (none Sci FI) I had forged my relationship with the author early doors.

I tried Consider Phlebas at my own risk. It didn't work for me - sorry I just don't like Sci Fi (does not make me a bad person)....

So my path was made clear - if it say Ian Banks I buy it, If it says Ian M Banks it stays on the shelves.

So imagine how "pleased" I was with the latest offering. Sorry Little Brown but you cheated me, there is no M on the cover!

This book seemed to me mixed between The Tomorrow People, Doctor Who and 1984 - all based on principles I just don't want to be bothered with. I can't suspend my disbelief.

I would normally devour a Bank's novel in a few days, I spent three weeks on this tosh! It really is not for me...

What makes me feel cheated (and I don't think that is too strong a word) was the letter M missing on the packaging) Is that there was no clue to a change of policy.

Now some smart arsed marketing manager may well decide to migrate his audience across, if so I look forwards to the next Ian M book featuring a Tortured Scott Cello player living an urban existence in 1980ís Islington. (see how you like those Apples Sci Fi buffs)

I donít want to transitioned I like his novels, but not his Sci FiÖso leave me with what I like!!

I was misled, disappointed...and would welcome a refund. I do not want to keep this book with my previous collection.

Hi there Garry. So I'm getting the impression that you're not keen on the new novel?

To be fair to the marketing people this is a non"M" book, it's just that Iain chose to include some SF elements - kind of along the same lines as "The Bridge" (did you like that one). His next novel will be an "M" with aliens & space ships etc.

If you were American then you would have avoided this problem as it was brought out under the Iain "M" Banks name over there.

Ohh & (pedantic mode) - I notice you spell Iain's name "Ian" in your above post
    "Just have fun"

Transition is reviewed in the latest Private Eye #1247.
    Surprise! They didn't like it!

Quote Originally Posted by FearfulSymmetry View Post
    The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009...ks-book-review

He doesn't like it and it's very spoilery (like major plot twists that occur well into the book)
    Ugh.. that was a terrible "review"! That guy went out of his way to misrepresent the book. If I search for the reviewer on Guardian, I get children's book reviews.... hmmm. Snub by the Guardian anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by rac View Post
    Transition is reviewed in the latest Private Eye #1247.
    Surprise! They didn't like it!
    "..a clever and slightly troubling meditation from a man who clearly can't wait to get back to the Dungeons and Dragons console for some really hot action".

What bollocks. We all know TMH prefers Civilisation...

"Just have fun"

Heh, eh'ness. What an eh'ness remark.
    Drink, but very carefully...

Nothing wrong with a bit of eh?ness
    "Just have fun"

+ Reply to Thread