+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Thread: Introductions Thread - "Hello"

I've read a lot of people on the forum reference The Wasp Factory, would you recommend that?

It was Iain's 1st published book & is considered something of a classic. Not my favourite of his non Culture / non SF work, but pretty good.
    "Just have fun"

I would say "The Quarry" explores similar themes in a better way, although that is his final book so you might want to save it.
    Phaze
    on the "being super lazy today, still in bed at 11:35" ID

Ooooops! Here is where I should have stuck this. how embarrassing. Consider the started thread in the "chat" section a miserable failure.

Soppdrake at your service.

I thought I would introduce myself and do it here, as I haven't found anywhere else suitable on the forums.

I am British by birth and am also "Swedish" having received a citizenship a year or so ago. I have been living in Sweden since 1987, which – along with a short stint in Australia – means that I have been here longer than I was ever in England.

It was in Sweden that I first heard about Banks' SF. A workmate lent me his copy of Consider Phlebas about 1997/8 and I was kind of hooked straight away. I have a confession to make straight off the bat: I have only read a couple of Banks' non-culture SF novels and only one non-genre novel.

I'm 56 at the moment. Still a skateboarder after receiving my first board already in 1966. I have a lovely wife and four kids, oh – and a dog. I was very much into comic graphic novels a good while back, and then absorbed by some of the great early 2000 computer games (Halo, DoD, IL2 and CS). But family needs and the lack of any proper time or gaming platform has kept me away from that lark, thankfully.

I have a soft spot for SF. Having grown up with some wonderful movies and tv programmes, the jump to reading SF has been a doddle. I don't read everything that comes my way. Though, after a CNN article I borrowed a copy of Kindred – which I found rewarding. Life's constraints leave me with limited "quality time" for reading. There are some cracking libraries here in Stockholm, where I can pick up the latest graphic novels as well as some worthy SF. (English, of course – though I can manage Swedish no problem these days).

Oh, yes ... I would like to take the opportunity of sending you lot my comiserations on the early and sad passing of Iain Banks. I was very sorry to read about the news of his death. Having been out of the loop, I just assumed that the 50-something year old would continue writing his excellent fiction for a good while yet. Ah, well. Just goes to show. Hope he was fully backed up.

That's enough rambling from me. I have lurked here for some time and just had to pop by and say hello after being kindly accepted into the fold.

//Soupdragon (Soppdrake)

Welcome soupdragon, I am just across the Water in Åbo, if you happen to be in the finnish lands or plan to visit then pm me and w ecould meet for a (non alcoholic for me) drink.
    Welcome to our little corner of the interwebz
    Phaze

Good to hear about you Soupdragon (is Soppdrake some kind of Swedenising)

I've been to Sweden for the Sweden Rock festival in Sölvesborg a couple of times.

What are the non-Culture one's you've read & which non"M" book? What did you think of them?
    Are there other SF authors you particularly enjoy too?

Would you like your other Introductions thread deleted? I have the strange & terrible Moderator powers here abouts
    "Just have fun"

Thanks, Phaze. Not often in Finland. You never know, though.

Yes, Deep Black, Soppdrake (sopp'a' = soup and drake = dragon) is the swedish version of my old gaming nick Soupdragon. Search "soppdrake" on google and you'll only find me. no-one else has it, apparently. ) And use your involved skills and remove the thread I parked in the wrong place, please.

The non-culture sf of Banks was Transition. The non Sf of his was, IIrc The Bridge. I enjoyed that. Once I have chomped through the SF, I'll have a go at that other author Iain Banks.

Depending on the country of publication Transition was put out as a nonCulture SF book with an "M" or as a nonSF book without an "M".
    There are (in my opinion) far better nonCulture SF books by him.
    The Bridge is definatly one of my favourite nonSF books without an "M"
    "Just have fun"

Hi All ,
    It seems that I am rather late to the Party , but hey ho , I'll introduce myself anyway - I am originally from a small town at the northernmost tip of Anglesey , a place called Amlwch , I'm a Welsh speaker , my parents both being Welsh , it was the language I grew up with though having spent the last twenty eight years of my life living in NW Scotland it's very rarely that I get to use it these days . The first book by Iain Banks I came across was ' Complicity ' , it arrived in the post as one of those Editor's Choice books you had to pay for if you forgot to tick the box of the Book Club I belonged to many moons ago now , as it transpired it was one of the Editor's better choices and I enjoyed it very much . Although I've yet to read all of Iain's non sci fi works , I have them all as part of my collection and even though I'm not a fan of science fiction I decided to buy every one of his as I could afford [ I only buy hardbacks ] so I am missing ' Consider Phlebas ' , ' The Player Of Games ' and ' Use Of Weapons ' , I have every other book he ever wrote apart from his Poetry . As well as book collecting my hobbies include Photography and watching the occasional film . Pleased to meet you all .

+ Reply to Thread