+ Reply to Thread
Page 131 of 132 FirstFirst ... 31 81 106 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1314

Thread: What are you reading now?

Yeah I know what you mean, I felt similarly about Brentford in London due to Rober Rankin's novels

Patrick Moore's book was a nice (& short) interlude.

Now on to Caliban's War, Book 2 of "The Expanse".

Apparently they made book 1 (Leviathan Wakes) into a TV series. anyone see that?
    "Just have fun"

Yes, it took some effort to get into, but it turned out pretty decent. This coming from someone who hasn't read the books.

Also, I believe I read some elements from book 2 were also used for the final episodes of season 1?

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Snuff - the Discworld was evolving into a place too faux 19th century and the alzeimer's was eating into poor Pratchett come the end. Mona Lisa Overdrive is much more engaging.
    'Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

i would recommend night watch , it is the pinnacle of pratchett's writing. Snuff has some good moments though. try the tiffany aching stuff,, might give you more of a feel for the pratchett of the pyramids time period
    I'm currently listening to anciliary justice, first in a series about the ratcha-i. it is interesting. I'm still chonping my way trhough the alphabet detective books by sue grafton, just finished D is for deadbeat

Yeah Night Watch was pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Av Demeisen View Post
    Yes, it took some effort to get into, but it turned out pretty decent. This coming from someone who hasn't read the books.
    I was surprised to see it had been made, but cool - I'll look out for it (no DVD yet)
    "Just have fun"

Caliban's War was a good read, though much slower than the 1st book in the series (& I still don't know why it was called "Caliban's War")?

Now on to Jem by Frederik Pohl.
    "Just have fun"

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemmingway
    "Just have fun"

Liu Cixin, The Three Body Problem and The Dark Forest. Some awkward passages but a pleasing whole.

The Fireman by Joe Hill 3/5 - Tries to be a new Stand, but comes off as a weaker Cell.
    Station 11 by Emily st John Mandel 5/5 - Beautiful, Lyrical, Dreamlike post Apocalypse a la Ballard.
    The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers 5/5 - Believable low scale Space Opera which deserves to win any and all awards it's up for.
    The Rise, The Fall, The Rise by Brix Smith 4/5 - The flip side to The Big Midweek, fizzingly Californian Brix is dropped into grim Manchester and tries to make the Fall into pop stars. And what happened after.
    Lurker at the threshold

The End of the World Running Club by Adrian J. Walker 2.5/5 - Starts off well, then becomes a succession of cliches until it runs out of steam.
    The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross - 3.5/5 - Len Deighton by way of Lovecraft and the Hackers Bible.
    Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King - 4.5/5 - Collections of stories by the Master.

I'm also grinding my way through Viv Albertine's memoir Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys but it is very hard going.
    Lurker at the threshold

+ Reply to Thread