+ Reply to Thread
Page 127 of 132 FirstFirst ... 27 77 102 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1314

Thread: What are you reading now?

I tossed Aurora in the bin a few days ago. Last money I'll have spent on Kim Stanley Robinson.

Av what prompted such a strong dislike of the book? I seem to be one of the few that actually enjoyed 2312.
    Last edited by Brabizon; 29-07-2015 at 07:24 AM.

I also failed to finish 2312, but at least the beginning with the "breathtaking" description of the city of Terminator lived up to the internet hype. After that the book fizzled out. I expected to like Aurora better, but the characters were awful. The integration of all sorts of science information into the prose and story was even more riling than the separate mini-chapter infodumps of 2312.

Now, I do like hard sci-fi. I just finished Peter Watts' Blindsight and Echopraxia (Firefall omnibus) and the science was so well integrated there. Watts' supposedly unlikeable sociopaths were far better company than Robinson's characters.
    Last edited by Av Demeisen; 30-07-2015 at 07:26 AM.

I hear you on KSR's awful characters. Swan is truly annoying in 2312, though managed to put her aside and enjoy the wonderfully imagined worlds and hardware in the novel. Can only hope that I manage the same in Aurora.

Just checked out Peter Watt's Firefall omnibus - looks promising.

I have a few KSR novels, the only one I've read so far is Red Mars.

Though there were some decent bits I found it over all way to dull & (as mentioned) the characters were pretty poor, though Coyote had some promise it never really delivered.

Many comments similar to the above have put me off venturing further into KSR territory.
    "Just have fun"

Red Mars is the best of his I have read, but I agree it's kind of dull. I wasn't able to finish Blue Mars. That's around the time I stopped reading Science Fiction during the nineties.

Aurora is being hyped as perhaps his best novel in some reviews. Well, not that Robinson set the bar that high in the past imo.

Indeed, I've gathered that Red Mars is the best, and it's not gonna improve...
    "Just have fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Av Demeisen View Post
    Red Mars is the best of his I have read, but I agree it's kind of dull. I wasn't able to finish Blue Mars. That's around the time I stopped reading Science Fiction during the nineties.
    Aurora is being hyped as perhaps his best novel in some reviews. Well, not that Robinson set the bar that high in the past imo.
    Myself, I have not stopped reading SF, it's just become rather difficult to find as much interesting new SF on offer. Waterstones is stuffed with SF masterworks series, graphic novels, dark fantasy, star trek tie-ins etc ad nauseam. What you don't get is new, thought provoking SF undiluted by fantasy memes. the other realisation is I read maybe 10 books a year, so if I survive to 75 I'm only ever going to read another 200 or so novels!! So they better be good ones.

The Whispering Swarm, Michael Moorcock has just dropped onto my kindle.

I read at a similar books-per-year (dependant on page count).

So by Vig I have about 370 novels to go.

I probably have about that many unread ones on my shelves right now, maybe I should stop buying new books?

Nah I think not...
    Last edited by Deep Black; 02-08-2015 at 07:00 AM.
    "Just have fun"

+ Reply to Thread