+ Reply to Thread
Page 125 of 132 FirstFirst ... 25 75 100 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1314

Thread: What are you reading now?

Have read The Abominable Showman by Robert Rankin.

& also The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, a pretty good (and disturbing) read, published after the first series of Twin Peaks
    "Just have fun"

This is with my ears and I feel it is important becuase the performance, I feel, adds so much to the enjoyment of the story.

On the recommendation of my co host on gatecast, Mike Crate, I popped on to Audible, where I am a member and bunged a credit on to "The Martian" by Andy Weir, narrated by J.C, Bray. It is largely written from a first person perspective as a series of log entries. This story makes me laugh out loud The performance (And it is a performance) just really makes the story. Also and one of my reasons for recommending it, the story makes me happy and sad at the same time. I am enjoying it immensley, I usulaly only listen to books when I am wandering around y wee town of Turku but when I am not walking somewhere, I am looking for ecuses to go somewhere as when I am not listening to the story, I want to be. What makes me sad? Like all the best books, the more you listen, there is that bttersweet feeling that you know you are closer to the end and there will be no more story!!

Ro quaalify, YMMV, I love it, my co host loves it but you may not, still I have enjoyed this and I will ask you this, even if you don't usually liten to audio books, give the five minute sample on audible's web site a spin. what else, ,if you enjoy Harry dresden, the self depracating, poking fun at, ocasionally profane but driven person.

I will stop gushing now, have fun.

Having finished the martian I moved on to a slip of the keyboard in tribute to Sir Terry Pratchett. It enraed me greately, listening to his gentle rge at the embuggerance whcih would kill him. I movev on to side jobs, tales form the dresen files universe, which caused me to re-evaluate and decide to listen to the entire dresden files run from the beginning.

Finally finished Encounter with Tiber by Buzz Aldrin, after a strong start it rather dwindled off sadly.

Now reading Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake

(I also picked up a copy of Lords & Ladies by Pratchett to read next)
    "Just have fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Black View Post
    Now reading Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake
    I like that book. It's less like the first 2, and allegedly incomplete at his death, but full of imagery that seemed relevant to me at age 18 when I first read it.
    I often reflect on the people paying to watch the sunset when I see the sorts of things people think have value in modern society. And the Cusp-Canines - I sadly know lots of people like them.

I've recently wrapped up James Herbert's The Rats, gory 1970s exploitation with shades of Japanese monster movies and zombie apocalypse. If they made it into a movie, they should keep it rooted in the 1970s (or no later than 1985).
    'Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

Read Small Gods by Pratchett

Now starting Omnivore by Piers Anthony
    "Just have fun"

The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. I liked it and have placed an order for the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Black View Post
    Read Small Gods by Pratchett

Now starting Omnivore by Piers Anthony
    Ox, Orn, Omnivore. A time when Mr Anthony still wrote great stories. Got me into a lifetime interest in mathematical games.

I think it was someone on here who recommended that trilogy to me ages back, prob you then Vig?
    "Just have fun"

+ Reply to Thread