+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 119 FirstFirst ... 39 64 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 114 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Finally finished Endymion (took 16 weeks), also finished The Kindly Ones by Gaiman.
    Now onto another book from the bible & Game World by V J Gallagher
    "Just have fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Black View Post
    The Kindly Ones
    Yeah, dated some of those in my day
    I want to be Cultured

Just finished Our Kind of Traitor by John LeCarre. Definitely among my favorite authors, and a pretty nice example of his work.
    "No, I like my lot as well as any other."

Finished Adrienna Mayor's The Poison King: The Life and Legend of Mithradates, Rome's Deadliest Enemy and moved onto Adrian Goldsworthy's Antony and Cleopatra; I'm also (too) slowly pottering through three other heavy books (two factual, one fictional by Dan Abnett) that I'm too tired to describe.
    'Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

Finished Lanark by Alasdair Gray. It was more than I expected and a read I think everyone should experience. Now I'm on to The Song of Roland (a knightly read).

Now reading Dreamsnake by Vonda N McIntyre
    "Just have fun"

Just finished rereading (with many years in between) Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination. Having been published during the 1950's, there are some things that date them. Despite this caveat both remain innovative, exceptionable books. In particular, The Stars My Destination, sometimes called Tiger, Tiger, is highly recommended. Science Fiction doesn't get much better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by charismatic megafauna View Post
    The Stars My Destination, sometimes called Tiger, Tiger, is highly recommended. Science Fiction doesn't get much better than this.
    it certainly doesn't, I read The Stars My Destination when I was a teenager & thought it was fantastic - and still do

currently reading The Stranglers - No Mercy by David Buckley, a biog of the peculiar, peculiarly English band...found it in a charity shop
    "In the Culture, death is not compulsory" - Iain M. Banks

Indeed, "The Stars..." is an excellent novel (one of Iain's favorites too), "Demolished Man" is decent enough too
    "Just have fun"

Didn't read The Stars until recently, so I was oblivious to the influence on the classic 'Tomorrow People' teen SF series. I wonder what other terms have entered popular culture as 'Jaunting' did/has. Anyone else remember 'The Stars my Degredation' in Sounds magazine?

+ Reply to Thread