+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The State Of The Art - BBCR4 - 5 March 2009 1415

I just got through listening to this on the iplayer. Nice to revisit something in a new medium, I particularly enjoyed the sound cues into the era of punk (but the Star Trek communicator noises might have been a step too far). I don't remember the bit about the snowflakes from the book, but it was a chilling reminder that the minds are not even remotely human, and can find more interest in 2 snowflakes than the entire civilisation of Earth. Gets a thumbs up from me.

I too listened on the iplayer last night & thought it was very good. I'd forgotten about the rather melodramatic ending but overall thought it was true to the story with Antony Sher being particularly good as the very urbane ship. Wasn't sure if the list of ship names was in the original story but it worked well. Now off to seek out Dave's review...
    Oh wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.

I also have just finished listening to the dramatisation on iplayer.
    However my opinion is quite different; it is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. I'll have to reread the book to be certain how wrong, but this isn't just me being a pedant over shifting the time & local of the no photos sign from Paris to new York. Sma was far to whiney & mopey, where's the fire & steel of the hardened contact operative gone? Linter was the one who sounded, tonaly, rationaly & sane leaving Sma sounding like a stressed emo. The ships voice was also just plain wrong. I can't describe how, it just is.
    Politically it was watered down, shifted more center from left. There wasn't enough condemnation of human stupidities, & far to much excusing of them.
    The transcript also completely failed to mention the Culture economical analysts, the ones looking permanently confused & with a headache. Real missed opportunity.
    The tone of the piece felt wrong, as if it'd been subverted, dumbed down & watered down.
    I'm going only on memory so far, but I'll read the book now to clarify my thoughts.
    I want to be Cultured

Just listened. I rather liked it. I was glad it didn't turn out to be as "Hichhickers Guide" like as the 1st clip I'd heard.

Yeah Sma was a bit whiney. I wasn't sure about the Ship initialy, but I got quickly use to it.

It's been years since I read the book (about 15 I'd guess) so I've bugger all idea how closely it followed Iains version. Must read it again some time
    "Just have fun"

I thought it very dry, and agree that Sma's voice was a little grating. Also, Sher's Ship was a bit too drone-like, if you see what I'm saying?
    Lurker at the threshold

I dunno, I imagine most Culture drones to be more fratboyish and sometimes whiney, there was nothing wrong with Tony Sher's performance but maybe he could've had a more monotonous and echoey voice.

I found the radio dramatisation mediocre, at best. It has been a long time since I read the book but I well recollect the mesmerised impression it left on me. The radio play by contrast I would recommend to no-one. Perhaps the actress playing Sma misread the name and thought it was "Dizzy" Sma and took this as an unconscious, or otherwise, cue to render the character thoroughly 'blonde'. But that is a detail and even fixing that would not give any sparkle to what was a highly forgettable bit of radio.

Hello there Superfluous.

Apparently Iain was happy with it. Shame the first "M" adaptation has met with such an "avarage" response in the main.

Have you seen the Film of Complicity or the TV version of Crow Road?
    "Just have fun"

Review from Farah Mendlesohn over on Strange Horizons

+ Reply to Thread