+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inversions

Default Inversions

Follow the clues, identify the players, identify the pawns.

Best enjoyed after Use of Weapons.
    Drink, but very carefully...

Is that your review or a challange?
    "Just have fun"

I recommend everyone reread Inversions. I enjoyed it a lot more on the second reading, think others might too. It's not a straight-forward Culture novel, rather shows a side of the Culture not seen in the other novels. Special Circumstances manipulation can happen in curious and subtle ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Black View Post
    Is that your review or a challange?
    It was a review but I appreciate it wasn't much of one, charismatic megafauna's review I think sums it up for me.
    Drink, but very carefully...

I knew what was going on between the two empires the SC were living amongst, with a huge proxy war and a extensive assassination campaign.

Inversions is the latest (but not, I hope, the last) Culture novel I've read. I've seen some mixed reviews on this one, and can't say I'm surprised. It was... different. While most Culture novels had me hooked from page one, Inversions was a slow starter. However, the reading experience sort of followed an exponential curve, and now I consider it to be on top of the list.
    - - - - -"The question of whether machines can think is no more interesting than the question of whether submarines can swim". (Edsger Djikstra)

Inversions was the 1st Iain (M) Banks I read. I hadn't a clue what was going on but got hooked straight away. I'm glad I read it before reading the more "Culture" novels. It really does enhance the sense of mystery and intrigue. I loved this book and promptly dived into the Culture proper with Excession. Looking forward to a reread but so much to read first.
    Last edited by Flashman; 02-06-2010 at 01:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread