View Poll Results: Which is your personal favourite Iain Banks book so far?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Wasp Factory

9 14.29%
  • Walking on Glass

5 7.94%
  • The Bridge

12 19.05%
  • Espedair Street

9 14.29%
  • Canal Dreams

0 0%
  • The Crow Road

14 22.22%
  • Complicity

10 15.87%
  • Whit

1 1.59%
  • A Song of Stone

0 0%
  • The Business

1 1.59%
  • Dead Air

1 1.59%
  • The Steep Approach to Garbadale

1 1.59%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Poll: Your favourite Iain Banks book to date

I guess we'll have to do a (final) poll II here soon, but let's give it a year or so first...
    "Just have fun"

This time the word final sounds quite depressing
    Excentric - Torturer Class - Right Winger's Nightmare

Hi , Lads and Lasses ,
    I was relatively late in discovering the talents of Iain , the first book of his I ever read was ' Complicity ' , that being a few years ago now , well before I decided to become a collector of books , now I have all of the non Science Fiction and about two thirds of the SF books even though I am not particularly a fan of the genre .
    I'm a peculiar type of reader insomuch as I try to leave the best until last , so even though I have all of Iain's books I have only read 6 of them - Complicity , A Song Of Stone , The Business , The Steep Approach To Garbadale , Whit and Stonemouth so by reading all of your choices I am in for a bit of a treat !
    Out of that lot I chose ' Complicity ' coincidentally the first one of Iain's books I ever read with possibly ' Whit ' and ' Stonemouth ' coming a close joint second .
    It felt to me as if he was just going through the motions with ' The Business ' and ' The Song Of Stone ' was rather depressing I did enjoy ' The Steep Road To Garbadale ' .
    Despite me not being a fan of Science Fiction , I will pick up all of Iain Banks' works because I may discover I am a fan after all , I'll always try something once at least , though at the age of 59 I have thus far managed to avoid tripe - you know the stuff that comes from a cow , not the usual form of tripe , I've experienced plenty of that .
    I joined this Forum in 2013 but due to a memory problem I had forgotten entirely that I was a member , I contracted sepsis in 2012/2013 , was flown to Paisley as it was snowing in Inverness and was on a Life Support Machine for 11 days , within that 11 days I suffered cardiac arrest long enough for the ICU Nurse to phone my Wife to tell her that I'd passed away and it was as she was consoling her that the Nurse cried out ' He's back with us ! ' .
    The Doctors though that should I live I would most certainly suffer from brain damage but the only way it has affected me is with this memory problem and hence the reason why I had forgotten I'd joined this Forum , - sometimes I'll buy a book only to discover it's already in my collection but apart from little things like that I function quite normally !
    The reason for posting today is I had picked up ' Transition ' and was curious to find out how folk rated various books of the late and great Mr Iain Banks .

Sorry to hear your health problems.
    Pity you weren't on the forum back in 2013 as it was far more active back then.

Of your books so far Whit & Complicity are certainly the best, but some of the earlier ones are fantastic
    Transition of a bit of a SF / nonSF crossover novel (as is The Bridge to an extent)
    "Just have fun"

I think Walking on Glass is my favourite, although fair to say it transgresses into SF territory. I've had discussions with a friend over Transition, and we're fairly agreed now that it seems to be bollocks from a science pov, but is a great romp. I agree song of stone is depressing, yet it is not forgettable, and speaks about human nature. Whit I like. Complicity I barely recall. Garbadale and Stonemouth I enjoyed both, and I enjoyed the TV adaptation of Stonemouth. got to say though there seems to be a lot less going on in most of the IB novels compared to the IMB ones. Not that that's a bad thing, The Blue Field by John Moore is also a great novel for being a stream of life style story. Working your way up to Crow Road and Wasp Factory seems like a really exciting plan, you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Black View Post
    Sorry to hear your health problems.
    Pity you weren't on the forum back in 2013 as it was far more active back then.

Of your books so far Whit & Complicity are certainly the best, but some of the earlier ones are fantastic
    Transition of a bit of a SF / nonSF crossover novel (as is The Bridge to an extent)
    Apologies for the late reply , Deep Black - Thank you for your message - I enjoyed Transition immensely , probably my favourite novel of Iain's thus far - I picked up ' The Quarry ' just after Christmas there and it reminded me of this Forum so here I am back again ! Going by the Poll , I shall keep The Bridge till last along with The Crow Road - I'm only a few pages in with The Quarry and I'm enjoying it . I did have another health issue back in November and last Wednesday [ 28th December ] needed to undergo an endoscopy scan to rule out cancer - I was told that they couldn't find anything so as you can imagine I've been on a bit of a ' high ' since . Having the upcoming scan on my mind spoilt The Quarry for me as one of the characters [ Guy ] is dying from the disease [ poor Iain writing from experience obviously ] so I put it down until I'd had the results !

I've just been reading up on Iain's last work , ' The Quarry ' which I have mistakenly written in the above post that he was writing from experience - well he was totally unaware of his illness when writing ' The Quarry ' up until the final 10,000 words so it was purely coincidental , my apologies , guys .

Just finished The Crow Road which is probably my favourite thus far , still have Canal Dreams , Walking On Glass , The Bridge and The Wasp Factory to go .

+ Reply to Thread