PDA

View Full Version : Complicity - What Game?

Rdo5150
19-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Hello all,

Good to see there is now a forum on my favourite author.

I've read all of his books (both SF and Fiction) - except Whit (failed to suck me in for some reason and it's the only one I have signed to boot), Crow Road and the latest one Transition. I find I lean towards the SF stuff more as I've never been dissapointed by any of them so far - what an imagination.

Anyway to my question which is non-SF....

In Complicity the main character keeps coming back to a PC game, a sort of god/world controlling sim and I just wondered what game Mr B might have had in mind when he was describing the game in the book. Maybe it was entirely fictitious or an amalgamation of lots of sim games but I was thinking maybe something like Civ or Populous - any thoughts?

I've often thought a RPG or online game based on The Culture might be quite interesting.

Rod
(I mis-typed my username when registering - what a loon!)

Conscious Bob
19-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Heh, this is the current third forum for your favourite author, I was only around for two and three but some forumites here were around for all three.

Civilisation was Iain's game of choice, had he not got into that we might be reading his fiftieth book by now.

Deep Black
19-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi there Rod. This is indeed the 3rd IMB forum (I've have been a member on all 3, though the 1st was was pretty tat). This one came along a while back with the new & improved site.

Was the game in Complicity called "Despot"? (I know I could go & look it up, but the books in a different room & well you know...). I think, as Bob says, Iain did have something a bit bigger & more modern in mind than Populous (I loved that myslef & Populous II)

Rdo5150
20-11-2009, 09:48 AM
yes my bad sorry - I assumed this was the first of it's kind but after posting the above I read through other threads indicating previous forums - I just happened to stumble across this one now.

Yes Despot was the name - well remembered. So it was the Civ game was it - that's interesting. What does everyone think about a PC game based on the Culture then? - perhaps not enough general public interest - Deus Ex may be quite close actually though I haven't played it myself .

Must be a challenge for Iain to resist the lures of his PC when typing away on a new novel in his study at home. 10 pages written, break for 3 hours on civ4 , repeat as required. That recent video of him in his study certainly suggested possible PC distractions.

cheers

Conscious Bob
20-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Must be a challenge for Iain to resist the lures of his PC when typing away on a new novel in his study at home. 10 pages written, break for 3 hours on civ4 , repeat as required. That recent video of him in his study certainly suggested possible PC distractions.

He's more a Mac man than a PC man by all accounts.

Deep Black
20-11-2009, 12:22 PM
I seem to recall hearing he has 2 computers, the one for writing doesn't have games or the internet on, so he can't be lead astray (If it wasn't Iain it was some other author, good idea either way)

FearfulSymmetry
20-11-2009, 11:30 PM
There's an old interview somewhere where he said would ritually delete all the Civ files off his computer then physically snap the disk in half before he started on his latest novel.

rac
23-11-2009, 09:45 AM
I seem to recall hearing he has 2 computers, the one for writing doesn't have games or the internet on, so he can't be lead astray (If it wasn't Iain it was some other author, good idea either way)

That's a damned good idea. Having, for example, Facebook open in a window while you're trying to write your bloody book can be distracting.
But what if you need the interweb there for research at the same time..?

Conscious Bob
23-11-2009, 10:58 AM
But what if you need the interweb there for research at the same time..?

Have a load of monitors in front of you like Terry Pratchett.

Rdo5150
23-11-2009, 11:39 AM

yes , on that clip form youtube posted recently where he does the tour of his home studio he had just that - 2 machines.

SleeperService
02-06-2010, 04:46 PM
That recent video of him in his study certainly suggested possible PC distractions.

Hy, i wonder which video you are talking about? can we see it online? thanx

Deep Black
02-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi there Rdo, this one I think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PdfXwAbP7U

SleeperService
24-08-2010, 02:52 PM
thats so coooool. thank you.